Directions : In these questions out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
1. He sat glowering at his opponent.
(a) threatening (b) cheering (c) swearing (d) fixing (Ans : a)
2. Poverty has become chronic in countries like Ethiopia.
(a) persistent (b) durable (c) painful (d) severe (Ans : a)
3. He is known to be a prolific writer.
(a) versatile (b) productive (c) great (d) powerful (Ans : b)
4. The Radcliffe line delineated, demarcated, defined and destroyed the destinies of millions of people.
(a) distribute (b) divide (c) paint (d) depict (Ans : d)
5. Leaders of some political parties make fiery speeches.
(a) fantastic (b) bombastic (c) passionate (d) eloquent (Ans : c)
6. He reserved the right to order scrutiny in cases where understatement was quite blatant.
(a) deliberate (b) unintentional (c) deceptive (d) obvious (Ans : d)
7. A recalcitrant child in a family is a big problem.
(a) disobedient (b) weak (c) talkative (d) dull (Ans : a)
8. Because of his haughty temperament, he cannot have many friends.
(a) arrogant (b) ill-natured (c) violent (d) impatient (Ans : a)
9. The difference, if it exists, is extremely tenuous.
(a) slight (b) artificial (c) cheap (d) invisible (Ans : a)
10. Under no circumstances an accomplice should go unpunished.
(a) adviser (b) abettor (c) subordinate (d) accused (Ans : b)
11. The honeymoon period for the new government is over.
(a) inexperience (b) goodwill (c) confidence (d) grace (Ans : b)
12. The disgruntled members of a party are a constant source of tension to the party leader.
(a) disloyal (b) dishonest (c) discontented (d) dispirited (Ans : c)
13. His style is quite transparent.
(a) verbose (b) involved (c) lucid (d) witty (Ans : c)
14. More effective measures should be adopted for the conservation of forests in India.
(a) protection (b) cultivation (c) propagation (d) supervision (Ans : a)
15. The placid waters of the lake gave him comfort and consolation.
(a) calm (b) deep (c) clear (d) cold (Ans : a)
16. I am beginning to find her novels rather passé.
(a) old-fashioned (b) lengthy (c) sentimental (d) obscene (Ans : a)
17. She gave a terse reply.
(a) polite (b) offensive (c) brief (d) lengthy (Ans : c)
18. The crisis warrants special measures.
(a) mentions (b) justifies (c) propagates (d) undertakes (Ans : b)
19. The judge was both a judicious and impartial man.
(a) judicial (b) wise (c) intelligent (d) kind (Ans : b)
20. Sorry, that was a bit of a goof on my part.
(a) slip (b) excuse (c) error (d) oversight (Ans : c)
Read Articles to Improve English :
● Common Errors Questions with Answers
● Spelling Mistakes Questions with Answers
● Comprehension Passages Questions with Answers
● Cloze Passage Questions with Answers
● Active and Passive Voice Questions with Answers
● Sentence Arrangement Questions with Answers
● Sentence Improvement Questions with Answers
● Sentence Completion Questions with Answers
● One Word Substitution Questions with Answers
● Idioms and Phrases Questions with Answers
● Antonyms Questions with Answers