Directions : In these questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given word/sentence.
1. That which cannot be done without
(a) impracticable (b) indispensable (c) impossible (d) unmanageable (Ans : b)
2. A person who maliciously sets on fire the property etc.
(a) politician (b) terrorist (c) incendiary (d) activist (Ans : c)
3. A government which honours all religions.
(a) theocratic (b) insecular (c) secular (d) democratic (Ans : c)
4. To favour one’s own relatives.
(a) nepotism (b) favouritism (c) red-tapism (d) optimism (Ans : a)
5. A person who is skilled in horsemanship.
(a) equestrian (b) jockey (c) cavalier (d) cavalryman (Ans : a)
6. A man with abnormal habits.
(a) eccentric (b) arrogant (c) sceptic (d) egoist (Ans : a)
7. A person who was unusual or remarkable abilities.
(a) freak (b) marvel (c) fraud (d) prodigy (Ans : d)
8. Collector of coins and medals.
(a) numismatist (b) philatelist (c) palmist (d) archaeologist (Ans : a)
9. A child brought up by person who are not his parents.
(a) orphan (b) foster-child (c) illegitimate (d) bastard (Ans : b)
10. A free thinker on religion.
(a) nepotist (b) libertine (c) iconoclast (d) introvert (Ans : b)
11. An instrument for measuring electric current.
(a) altimeter (b) anemometer (c) ammeter (d) audiometer (Ans : c)
12. A person who wants to create lawlessness in the state–
(a) anarchist (b) communist (c) sceptic (d) revolutionist (Ans : a)
13. The science of earthquakes.
(a) astronomy (b) geology (c) geography (d) seismology (Ans : d)
14. Feeding on grass, cereals, etc.
(a) herbivorous (b) graminivorous (c) carnivorous (d) omnivorous (Ans : b)
15. Place of permanent residence.
(a) nation (b) harbour (c) home (d) domicile (Ans : d)
16. A funeral bell.
(a) call (b) knell (c) summon (d) replica (Ans : b)
17. One who believes that pleasure is the highest good.
(a) epicure (b) celibate (c) hedonist (d) snob (Ans : c)
18. One who relies on experience.
(a) pragmatic (b) credible (c) empiric (d) pedant (Ans : d)
19. One who makes a scientific study of insects.
(a) anthropologist (b) anthropolist (c) entomologist (d) misogynist (Ans : c)
20. A person who has an obsessive wish to steal.
(a) kleptomaniac (b) bibliomaniac (c) theomaniac (d) dipsomaniac (Ans : a)
Read Articles to Improve English :
● Common Errors Questions with Answers
● Spelling Mistakes Questions with Answers
● Comprehension Passages Questions with Answers
● Cloze Passage Questions with Answers
● Active and Passive Voice Questions with Answers
● Sentence Arrangement Questions with Answers
● Sentence Improvement Questions with Answers
● Sentence Completion Questions with Answers
● Idioms and Phrases Questions with Answers
● Antonyms Questions with Answers
● Synonyms Questions with Answers