English Language Solved Paper
Directions (Q. Nos. 1-2) In the following questions, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select 'No Error'.
1. While he went beside (a)/ with our decisions, we were (b)/ never sure he totally agreed. (c) No error (d)
(a) a (b) b (c) c (d) d (Ans : a)
2. The after morning (a)/ she woke to the first ray of (b)/ light through the window. (c) No error (d)
(a) a (b) b (c) c (d) d (Ans : a)
Read Also : SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1 General Awareness Solved Paper
Directions (Q. Nos. 3-4) In the following questions, the sentence given with blank to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
3. The psychopath gets a sense of enjoyment from torturing animals.
(a) perverse (b) agreeable (c) happy (d) resonable (Ans : a)
4. When ]aspal got angry, he started to ...................his feelings with his hands.
(a) participate (b) immolate (c) intoxicate (d) gesticulate (Ans : d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 5-8) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, select the word similar in meaning to the word-given.
(a) Amalgamate (b) Dissolve (c) Flex (d) Liquefy (Ans : a)
(a) Conceal (b) Distort (c) Characterise (d) Suppress (Ans : c)
(a) Alter (b) Concur (c) Digress (d) Vary (Ans : b)
(a) Cerate (b) Liniment (c) Remedy (d) Blockage (Ans : d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 9-10) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
9. Gnash your teeth
(a) Express rage (b) Brush your teeth (c) Laugh hysterically (d) Take a big bite. (Ans : a)
10. Let something slip through one's fingers
a. Lose 'a wedding ring .
b. Not be able to understand a difficult concept
c. Let go of certain unpleasant things
d. to waste an opportunity to achieve something (Ans : d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 11-12) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which will improve the bracketed part of the sentence. In case no improvement is needed, select 'no improvement'.
11. What would you like (to do it) for your birthday?
(a) to do (b) doing (c) does (d) No improvement (Ans : a)
12. You must (be mistake)
(a) be mistakenly (b) be mistaken (c) be mistook (d) No improvement (Ans : b)
Directions (Q. Nos. 13-14) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the words/sentence.
13. Complete with regard to every detail.
(a) Thorough (b) Lackadaisical (c) Lax (d) Cursory (Ans : a)
14. The faculty or power of using one's will
(a) Antagonism (b) A version (c) Rejection (d) Volition (Ans : d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 15-16) In the following questions, four words are given out of which one word is correctly spelt, select the correctly spelt word.
15. (a) Jukstapose (b) Jaxtapuse (c) Juxtapose (d) Jaxtapose (Ans : c)
16. (a) Amusemant (b) Arnrnusement (c) Arnrnusemant (d) Amusement (Ans : d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 17-18) Each of these questions below consists of a set of labelled sentences. Out of the four options given, select the most logical order of the sentences to form a coherent paragraph.
17. Evidently it was too
X-of a deadly-looking cobra or
Y-two we saw no reptiles
Z-dry for game, and with the exception
(a) YZX (b) YXZ (c) XZY (d) ZXY (Ans : d)
18. Some of these
X-height of more than
Y-2000 feet above the sea
Z-rocks rise to the
(a) YZX (b) ZXY (c) YXZ (d) XZY (Ans : b)
19. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses' the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
I will wash the car every Sunday.
a. The car is washed by me every Sunday.
b. Every Sunday by me the car is to be washed
c. Every Sunday by myself the car is to be washed
d. The car will be washed by me every Sunday. (Ans : d)
20. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech.
The watchman said, thief! thief! catch him!?
a. The watchman shouted to the crowd to catch the thief.
b. The watchman shouted to the crowd, thief, thief, catch him. .
c. The watchman shouted to the crowd, catch the thief.
d. The watchman shouted to the crowd, catch him. (Ans : a)
Directions (Q. Nos. 21-25) A passage is given with five questions following it Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out 'of the four alternatives.
There's more than the 1Ol-seater dining table at the Falaknuma palace that is awe inspiring. The library done in rosewood and mahogany is a place that will force anyone to pause, if only to admire the fine original polish, the furniture and the walnut carved high roof. The last is supposedly and imitation of the one at Windsor Castle.
The library is almost the size of a large banquet hall and acts an the passage to other parts of the palace including the dining area For years the palace had no librarian because they couldn't find the right person to do justice to the treasure trove of books collected by the Nizam's family over several decades. That is until they-found AsifHusain Arastu who belongs to the family that owned the famous AA Husain book store in Abids. So when his friend and historian Anuradha Naik pointed out the palace's requirement at the library, Husain was delighted On his very first day as the librarian at the magnificent Taj Falaknuma place, Asif Husain found a reference book on 'How to paint grass' by Alfred East.
21. Which of the following is false about Arastu?
a. He was a descendent of the Nizam's family.
b .He was the librarian at the Falaknuma Palace.
c. He owned a book store.
d. He was a friend of Anuradha Naik. (Ans : a)
22. The roof the the library has carvings made of which wood?
(a) Rosewood (b) Mahogany (c) Sandalwood (d) Walnut (Ans : d)
23. Name the author of the book that Hussain found on his first day as the librarian?
(a) Alfred East (b) Amiradja Naik (c) Mark Twain (d) Asif Husain Arashi (Ans : c)
24. The books at the library were collected by
a. Hyderabad University b .Anuradha Naik c. the Nizam's Family d. Asif Husain Arastu (Ans : c)
25. Which part of the palace is an imitation of the Windsor Palace?
a. 10I-seater dining table b. The library's roof c. The banquet hall d .The library's furniture (Ans : b)