Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre.) EXAM., 2012 (Held on 30-11-2014)
General Studies (Paper-I) Solved Paper
101. On the outline map of India (A), (B), (C) and (D) depict the location of four coal fields. Which one is not correctly shown on the map?
(A) Satpura (B) Son valley (C) Korba (D) Karnpura (Ans : D)
102. Which one of the following groups is the correct sequence of mountain peaks from east to west?
(A) Everest, Kanchenjunga, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri (B) Kanchenjunga, Everest, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri
(C) Kanchenjunga, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, Everest (D) Everest, Kanchenjunga, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna (Ans : B)
103. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer by using the code given below–
(a) Fertilizer (b) Glass (c) Cement (d) Synthetic silk
List- II (Location)
1. Kota 2. Udaipur 3. Jaipur 4. Sriganganagar
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 4 3 2 1
(B) 1 4 3 2
(C) 2 1 4 3
(D) 3 2 1 4 (Ans : A)
104. Which one of the following rivers is associated with Sardar Sarovar Project?
(A) Narmada (B) Tapti (Tapi) (C) Godawari (D) Cauvery (Kaveri) (Ans : A)
105. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer by using the code given below–
(a) Alleppey (b) Ennore (c) Paradip (d) Kakinada
1. Tamil Nadu 2. Odisha 3. Kerala 4. Andhra Pradesh
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 3 1 2 4
(B) 4 2 1 3
(C) 2 4 3 1
(D) 1 3 4 2 (Ans : A)
106. Basaltic Lava rocks over Indian Deccan Plateau are formed in the following period–
(A) Cretaceous period (B) Pleistocene period
(C) Carboniferrous period (D) Miocene period (Ans : A)
107. Who was the first Indian to join as a member of UN Human Rights Commission, constituted in 1946?
(A) Smt. Sarojini Naidu (B) Smt. Hansa Mehta
(C) Smt. Vijaya Laxmi Pandit (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
108. Treaties of ‘START-I’ and ‘START-II’ were signed–
(A) Between USA and USSR (B) Between USA and China
(C) Between USSR and China (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
109. When did the Protection of Human Rights Act come into force in India ?
(A) 1990 (B) 1991 (C) 1992 (D) 1993 (Ans : D)
110. Under which agreement International Monetary Fund was established?
(A) Bretton Woods Agreement (B) Bretton Stone Agreement
(C) S. Woods Agreement (D) U. Thant Agreement (Ans : A)
111. When was South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation
(A) 1984 (B) 1987 (C) 1985 (D) 1989 (Ans : C)
112. State Legislative Assembly can participate in the election of following–
I. President of India II. Vice-President of India
III. Members of Rajya Sabha IV. Members of Legislative Council
Select the correct answer–
(A) I, II and III (B) I, III and IV (C) I and III (D) I, II and IV (Ans : B)
113. Which one of the following is the correct sequence of the States of India in descending order of their area?
(A) Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh (B) Jharkhand, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattis-garh
(C) Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand (D) Himachal Pradesh, Uttara-khand, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh (Ans : C)
114. Which river among the following does not join the Ganga river from left?
(A) Gomati (B) Ghaghra (C) Kosi (D) Son (Ans : D)
115. By whom the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of India can be enlarged?
(A) President of India (B) Parliament by passing a resolution
(C) Parliament by making a law (D) President in consultation with Chief Justice of India (Ans : C)
116. Council of Minister is collectively responsible to whom?
(A) Prime Minister (B) President (C) Rajya Sabha (D) Lok Sabha (Ans : D)
117. Which of the following has been described as the soul of the Indian Constitution?
(A) Fundamental Rights (B) Directive Principles of State Policy
(C) Right to Constitutional Remedies (D) The Preamble (Ans : C)
118. The Lok Sabha Secretariat comes under the direct supervision of–
(A) Ministry of Home Affairs (B) Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs
(C) President of India (D) Lok Sabha Speaker (Ans : D)
119. Who among the following is not appointed by the State Governor?
(A) Chief Minister (B) Members, State Public Service Commission
(C) Judges of High Court (D) Advocate General (Ans : C)
120. Under which of the following the Constituent Assembly of India was constituted ?
(A) Government of India Act, 1935 (B) Cripps Proposals, 1942
(C) Cabinet Mission Plan, 1946 (D) Indian Independence Act, 1947 (Ans : C)
121. Which of the following constitute the Indian Parliament?
(A) President, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha (B) Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and Prime Minister
(C) Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and Minister for Parliamentary Affairs (D) Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and Parliament Secretariat (Ans : A)
122. Who presides over the joint sitting of the two houses of the Parliament?
(A) President of India (B) Vice-President of India
(C) Prime Minister of India (D) Speaker of Lok Sabha (Ans : D)
123. What is the tenure of Chief Election Commissioner of India?
(A) Five years (B) Six years or 65 years of age, whichever is earlier
(C) Five years or 65 years of age, whichever is earlier (D) During the pleasure of the President of India (Ans : B)
124. Where the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) can be filed?
(A) Only in Supreme Court of India (B) Only in High Courts of States
(C) In Central Administrative Tribunals (D) Both in High Courts and Supreme Court (Ans : D)
125. Who was the first Governor of Uttaranchal (now Uttarakhand) ?
(A) Smt. Margret Alva (B) Shri Sudarshan Agarwal
(C) Shri B. L. Joshi (D) Shri Surjit Singh Barnala (Ans : D)
126. Which Constitutional amendment provided constitutional status to urban local government?
(A) 72nd (B) 73rd (C) 74th (D) 71st (Ans : C)
127. Who was the first Chairman of ‘Uttarakhand Kranti Dal’?
(A) D.D. Pant (B) Badri Datt Pande
(C) Diwakar Bhatt (D) Mathura Prasad Barnrada (Ans : A)
128. Who is known as ‘Gandhi of Uttarakhand’ ?
(A) Gaura Devi (B) Sunderlal Bahuguna
(C) Madho Singh Bhandari (D) Indramani Badoni (Ans : D)
129. A person can contest the Panchayat election, if he has attained the age of–
(A) 25 years (B) 30 years (C) 21 years (D) 18 years (Ans : C)
130. By which Constitutional Amendment OBCs have been given 27 per cent reservation in the admission to educational institutions?
(A) 92nd (B) 93rd (C) 94th (D) 96th (Ans : B)
131. Who administers the Oath of office and secrecy to the Governor?
(A) President (B) Chief Justice of Supreme Court
(C) Chief Justice of High Court (D) Chief Minister (Ans : C)
132. Which one of the following states first established the institution of Lokayukta?
(A) Rajasthan (B) Maharashtra (C) Bihar (D) Gujarat (Ans : B)
133. Which of the following commissions/ committees has recommended the creation of a Local Body Ombudsman ?
(A) First Administrative Reforms Commission (B) Second Administrative Reforms Commission
(C) Balwantrai Mehta Committee (D) Ashok Mehta Committee (Ans : B)
134. Which one of the following committees is not associated with Panchayat Raj System in India?
(A) Dinesh Goswami Committee (B) L. M. Singhvi Committee
(C) Sadiq Ali Committee (D) Ashok Mehta Committee (Ans : A)
135. Under which article of the Constitution reservations in admission to educational institutions, including private and unaided, to OBCs/ST /SC is made?
(A) Article 15(4) (B) Article 15(5)
(C) Article 16(4) (D) Article 16(5) (Ans : B)
136. ‘Right to Education’ introduced through 86th Amendment came into force–
(A) In 2002 (B) In 2004 (C) In 2008 (D) In 2010 (Ans : D)
137. Which tribes of Uttarakhand had trade relations with Tibet before 1962 war with China?
(A) Raji (B) Bhotia (C) Boksa (D) Jaunsari (Ans : B)
138. Who established the ‘Garhdesh Seva Sangh’ ?
(A) Sridev Suman (B) Badri Datt Pande (C) Rampal (D) Gopi Chand (Ans : A)
139. As per 2011 Census, literacy rate of Uttarakhand State is–
(A) 79.63 per cent (B) 87.40 per cent (C) 70.40 per cent (D) 75.80 per cent (Ans : A)
140. Which one of the following is the highest snow-covered peak of Uttarakhand State?
(A) Kamet (B) Trisule (C) Nanda Devi (D) Chogori (Ans : C)
141. On which of the following rivers, the Tehri Hydro Power Project has been constructed?
(A) Bhagirathi and Alaknanda (B) Yamuna and Bhagirathi
(C) Kali and Tonse (D) Bhagirathi and Bhilangana (Ans : D)
142. Which one of the following countries was included in ‘BRICS’ in the last?
(A) India (B) China (C) South Africa (D) Brazil (Ans : C)
143. The Bretton Woods Conference led to the establishment of–
I. I.M.F. II. I.B.R.D. III. United Nations IV. W.T.O.
(A) I and II (B) I, II and III
(C) I and III (D) I, II, III and IV (Ans : A)
144. Which one of the following organizations publishes the Human Development Report?
(A) UNESCO (B) World Bank (C) U.N.D.P. (D) I.M.F.
(Ans : C)
145. Which one of the following World Bank affiliates, provides assistance for poverty alleviation to the world’s poorest countries?
(A) International Finance Corporation (B) International Development Association
(C) Multi-lateral Investment Guarantee Agency (D) International Monetary Fund
(Ans : B)
146. When the exchange rate changes from 1$ = Rs. 60 to 1$ = Rs. 58, it means–
I. Rupee value has appreciated II. Dollar value has depreciated
III. Rupee value has depreciated IV. Dollar value has appreciated
(A) I and II are correct. (B) II and III are correct.
(C) I and IV are correct. (D) II and IV are correct. (Ans : A)
147. According to Malthusian Theory of Population, population increases in–
(A) Geometrical Progression (B) Arithmetic Progression
(C) Harmonic Progression (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
148. The Phillips Curve represents relationship between–
(A) Deflation and Unemployment (B) Inflation and Unemployment
(C) Inflation and Disguised Unemployment (D) Deflation and Cyclical Unemployment (Ans : B)
149. Which one of the following is known as ‘mystery lake’ of Uttarakhand ?
(A) Nainital (B) Sattal (C) Roopkund (D) Naukuchiatal (Ans : C)
150. Which of the following food crops of Uttarakhand State, covers the maximum sown area?
(A) Maize (B) Bajra (C) Wheat (D) Rice (Ans : C)