UPPCS Uttar Pradesh Combind State/Upper Subordinate Services (Pre.) Exam of the year 2015 held on dated 20 March, 2016. We are giving 150 questions of General Studies (Paper-I) of this exam with answers. These questions not only develop of your I.Q. but will useful for upcoming government exams also.
1. A resolution passed under clause (1) of Article 249 shall remain in force for a period not exceeding–
(A) one month (B) three months (C) six months (D) one year (Ans : D)
2. The Sarkaria Commission was set-up for the review of relation between–
(A) the Prime Minister and President (B) the Legislative and the Executive
(C) the Centre and the States (D) the Executive and the Judiciary (Ans : C)
3. Internal Security Academy is located at–
(A) Mount Abu (B) Nasik (C) Hyderabad (D) Pune (Ans : A)
4. The State Finance Commission is a–
(A) Legal body (B) Non-statutory body (C) Constitutional body (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
5. Under which Article of the Indian Constitution, the Parliament can make laws on State list subject for giving effect to international agreements?
(A) Article 249 (B) Article 250 (C) Article 252 (D) Article 253 (Ans : D)
6. Under which Article of the Indian Constitution, there is a provision for the Election Commission?
(A) Article 320 (B) Article 322 (C) Article 324 (D) Article 326 (Ans : C)
7. The Supreme Court of India enunciated the doctrine of 'Basic Structure of the Constitution' in-
(A) the Golaknath Case in 1967 (B) the Sajjan Singh Case in 1965
(C) the Shankari Prasad Case in 1951 (D) the Keshavanand Bharati Case in 1973 (Ans : D)
8. Who among the following is authorised to make provisions with respect to the composition of Panchayats ?
(A) Governor of State (B) Legislature of State (C) Parliament of India (D) President of India (Ans : B)
9. Which part of the Constitution, has the provisions for Panchayati Raj System?
(A) IX (B) VI (C) III (D) IV (a) (Ans : A)
10. The Panchayati Raj System was adopted to–
(A) make people aware of politics (B) decentralise the power of democracy
(C) educate the peasants (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
11. Who is considered as the "Architect of Panchayati Ra]" in India?
(A) Acharya Narendra Deo (B) G.V.K. Rao (C) B.R. Mehta (D) L.M. Singhavi (Ans : C)
12. Consider the following statements–
Assertion A : Dr. Ambedkar had described Article 32 of the Constitution as the very soul of it.
Reason R : Article 32 provides effective remedy against the violation of Fundamental Rights.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below–
(A) A and R both are true and R is the correct explanation of A
(B) A and R both are true, but R is not the correct explanation of A
(C) A is true, but R is false,
(D) A is false, but R is true (Ans : A)
13. Reservation of seats in Panchayat elections for Scheduled Castes shall not apply to the State of–
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Assam (C) Arunachal Pradesh (D) Haryana (Ans : C)
14. According to Article 243(ZJ) of Indian Constitution the maximum number of directors of a cooperative society may by–
(A) 21 (B) 15 (C) 11 (D) 7 (Ans : A)
15. A Bill for the purpose of creating a new State in India must be passed by–
(A) a simple majority in Parliament and ratification by not less than two-third of the States (B) a simple majority in Parliament
(C) a two-third majority in Parliament and ratification by not less than two-third of the States (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
16. In India, who is competent to amend Fundamental Rights of the citizens?
(A) Lok Sabha (B) Rajya Sabha (C) Parliament (D) Supreme Court (Ans : C)
17. Which Article of the Indian Constitution is related to Indian Foreign Policy?
(A) Article 380 (B) Article 312 (C) Article 60 (D) Article 51 (Ans : D)
18. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists–
(a) Comptroller and Auditor General of India (b) Finance Commission
(c) Administrative Tribunal (d) Union Public Service Commission
1. Article 315 2. Article 280 3. Article 148 4. Article 323 (A)
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 3 2 4 1
(B) 3 4 2 1
(C) 1 2 4 3
(D) 4 1 3 2 (Ans : A)
19. Who among the following actresses is the brand ambassador of 'Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan' ?
(A) Madhuri Dixit (B) Vidya Balan (C) Priyanka Chopra (D) Parineeti Chopra (Ans : B)
20. T. Kajita and A. McDonald, winner of year 2015 Nobel Prize for Physics belong to which of the following countries respectively?
(A) U.S.A. and Japan (B) Japan and U.S.A. (C) Japan and Canada (D) Canada and U.S.A. (Ans : C)
21. After confidential meeting between National Security Advisers of India and Pakistan in Bangkok, foreign minister Sushma Swaraj went to Pakistan to attend 'Heart of Asia Conference' held in 2015 at–
(A) Karachi (B) Peshawar (C) Lahore (D) Islamabad (Ans : D)
22. The refugees and migrants in Europe reached which milestone mark recently as disclosed by the UNHCR?
(A) 1.0 Million (B) 1.5 Million (C) 2.0 Million (D) 3.0 Million (Ans : A)
23. Which country of the world is building an alternate capital to save its citizens from natural disaster?
(A) Armenia (B) Philippines (C) Vietnam (D) Thailand (Ans : B)
24. Who among the following holds his/her office during pleasure of the President?
(A) Comptroller and Auditor General of India (B) Chief Election Commissioner
(C) Speaker of Lok Sabha (D) Attorney General of India (Ans : D)
25. The costliest metal of the world discovered recently, is–
(A) Endohedral Fullerene (B) Californium 252 (C) Tritium (D) Rhodium (Ans : A)
26. 'Seva Divas' has been proposed by Central Government to celebrate the birthday of–
(A) Atal Bihari Bajpayee (B) Deen Dayal Upadhyay (C) Shyama Prasad Mukherjee (D) Veer Savarkar (Ans : C)
27. Which community has the lowest sex ratio in India as disclosed in the additional data pertaining to Census 2011 released recently?
(A) Buddhist (B) Sikh (C) Jain (D) Muslim (Ans : B)
28. The first woman recently elected to Local Council of Mecca in Saudi is–
(A) Mariam Hint (B) Hanouf Bint (C) Salma Bint (D) Aasma Bint (Ans : B)
29. Recently in news, Wendelstein 7x is related to–
(A) Steam Energy (B) Solar Energy (C) Thermal Energy (D) Nuclear Energy (Ans : D)
30. How many countries of the world have adopted compulsory voting system?
(A) 32 (B) 25 (C) 24 (D) 22 (Ans : D)
31. Which country recently rejected one child norm policy and allowed parents to have another child?
(A) Sweden (B) Cuba (C) China (D) Finland (Ans : C)
32. Who among the following has been chosen 'Person of the Year 2015' by Times Magazine?
(A) Barack Obama (B) AB. Al. Bagdadi (C) Francois Hollande (D) Angeela Merkel (Ans : D)
33. In the International Tennis Premier League (ITPL) 2015, matches held in India, Rafael Nadal played from the team–
(A) UAE Royals (B) Japan Warriors (C) India Aces (D) Philippine Mavericks (Ans : C)
34. In which of the following districts of U.P., a 112 year old woman (Nauroji Devi) has been elected Pradhan of a Village?
(A) Mau (B) Ghazipur (C) Azamgarh (D) Jaunpur (Ans : C)
35. Raghuvir Chaudhury, who was recently awarded Sahitya Academy Puraskar, enriched the literature in–
(A) Marathi (C) Kannada (B) Gujarati (D) Hindi (Ans : B)
36. Supposing all Indian States as different countries of the world in terms of Human Development Index ranking; match these states to concerned country's ranking and select correct option from codes given below–
(a) Kerala (b) Gujarat (c) Uttar Pradesh (d) Maharashtra
List-II (Ranking Countries)
1. South Africa 2. Pakistan 3. Honduras 4. Maldives
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 3 1 2 4
(B) 4 3 2 1
(C) 2 3 1 4
(D) 1 2 3 4 (Ans : B)
37. The book 'Kargil : Turning the Tide' is written by–
(A) Mohinder Purl (B) Anita Nair (C) Chetan Bhagat (D) Durjoy Datta (Ans : A)
38. In the 64th Miss Universe Competition, the winner Pia Alonzo Wurtzback belongs to–
(A) Philippines (B) Columbia (C) U.S.A. (D) France (Ans : A)
39. A well planned racket has been unearthed in Indian Railways recently. The scam is related to–
(A) sale of spurious food items on platforms and coaches (B) railway brand water 'Rail Neer'
(C) supply of substandard electric items (D) over/under invoicing of goods transported by trains (Ans : B)
40. Barak-8 Missile (next generation) has been developed by India in collaboration with which of the following countries?
(A) Russia (B) U.S.A. (C) Israel (D) France (Ans : C)
41. In which State the Nelong Valley is located?
(A) Himachal Pradesh (B) Sikkim (C) Jammu and Kashmir (D) Uttarakhand (Ans : D)
42. In which of the following countries women have been given voting rights for the first time and they won 13 seats in the election (2015) creating a history?
(A) Iraq (B) Jordan (C) Saudi Arabia (D) Turkey (Ans : C)
43. 'Simply Click' credit card scheme is launched by which of the following Banks?
(A) IDBI (B) ICICI (C) B.O.B. (D) S.B.I. (Ans : D)
44. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(A) Fohn – Alps Mountain (B) Bora – Poland (C) Mistral – Rhine Valley (D) Khamsin – Egypt (Ans : C)
45. Arrange the following lakes in correct descending order of their area using the codes given below–
1. Great Bear 3. Victoria 2. Baikal 4. Superior
(A) 4, 3, 2, 1 (B) 3, 2, 1, 4 (C) 4, 2, 1, 3 (D) 3, 1, 4, 2 (Ans : A)
46. Which of the following is not correctly matched?
Ports – Country
(A) Rotterdam – The Netherland
(B) Igarka – China
(C) Montevideo – Uruguay
(D) Jakarta – Indonesia (Ans : B)
47. Match the List-I and List-Il and select the correct answer from the codes given below–
List-I (Mountain Pass)
(a) Mana (b) Nathula (c) Zozila (d) Sipki La
1. Sikkim 2. Jammu and Kashmir 3. Himachal Pradesh 4. Uttarakhand
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 2 3 1 4
(B) 4 3 2 1
(C) 4 1 2 3
(D) 4 1 3 2 (Ans : C)
48. Which of the following rock systems in India is the latest one?
(A) Vindhyan (B) Cuddapah (C) Dharwar (D) Gondwana (Ans : D)
49. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists–
List- I (Tribes)
(a) Khirghiz (b) Bushman (c) Ainu (d) Badduin
List- II (Area)
1. Japan 2. Arab 3. Central Asia 4. Kalahari
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 3 1 4 2
(B) 2 3 4 1
(C) 3 4 1 2
(D) 1 2 3 4 (Ans : C)
50. Which of the following passes leads to Leh ?
(A) Zozila (B) Shipki La (C) Chumbi Valley (D) Banihal (Ans : A)