Choose the most appropriate response out of the four choices given after every question. Each question carries one mark.
Directions-(Q. 141 and 142) In each of the following questions, some alternatives have been suggested for the idioms/phrase. Choose the option which best expresses the meaning.
141. "By leaps and bounds"
(A) Rapidly (B) Slowly (C) Peacefully (D) Strongly (Ans : A)
142. "A bolt from the blue"
(A) Something unexpected (B) Something unpleasant (C) Something horrible (D) Something unexpected and unpleasant (Ans : D)
143. Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for "One who is good at many things."
(A) Versatile (B) Universal (C) Cosmopolitan (D) Secular (Ans : A)
144. Choose the correctly spelt word–
(A) Manufactre (B) Manufacture (C) Maunfacture (D) Manufactuer (Ans : B)
145. Choose the correctly spelt word–
(A) Aggregete (B) Agrregete (C) Aggregate (D) Agregate (Ans : C)
146. Choose the indirect form of the following sentence–
Rajan said, "O that I were a child again !"
(A) Rajan exclaimed with wonder that he was a child again (B) Rajan wondered that were he a child again
(C) Rajan wished that he had been a child again (D) Rajan wished that he were a child again (Ans : D)
147. Choose the indirect form of the following sentence–
The manager said, "Well, what can I do for you ?"
(A) The manager asked what he could do for him (B) The manager exclaimed what he could do for you
(C) The manager wanted to know what he could do for you (D) The manager said that he couldn't do anything for him (Ans : A)
148. The passive voice of "Who is creating this mess?" is–
(A) Who has created this mess? (B) By whom has this mess been created?
(C) By whom this mess is being created? (D) By whom is this mess being created? (Ans : D)
149. The active voice of "The clown was laughed at by them. " is–
(A) They were laughing at the clown (B) They were laughing on the clown
(C) They laughed at the clown (D) They were laughed at by the clown (Ans : C)
Directions-(Q. 150 to 152) Choose the most appropriate word to fill in the blanks.
150. Ramesh .......... the business deal without wasting any time.
(A) damaged (B) facilitated (C) clinched (D) expressed (Ans : C)
151. I complimented him .......... his success in the examination.
(A) through (B) on (C) about (D) for (Ans : B)
152. The dramatist must cater .......... the taste of the audience.
(A) to (B) over (C) into (D) for (Ans : A)
153. Who said "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" ?
(A) Frost (B) Shelley (C) Keats (D) Coleridge (Ans : C)
154. Which one of the following is considered the last play of Shakespeare?
(A) Cymbeline (B) Pericles (C) The Winter's Tale (D) Henry-VIII (Ans : D)
155. Which one of the following poems is composed by John Keats?
(A) Ode to Duty (B) Ode to the West Wind (C) Ode to a Nightingale (D) Ode on Solitude (Ans : C)
156. Who is known as "The Prince of English Essayists" ?
(A) Lamb (B) Addison (C) Eliot (D) Steele (Ans : A)
157. Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" is a–
(A) Romance (B) Tragi-Comedy (C) Dumb show (D) Mime (Ans : B)
158. Who said that "Hell is a city much like London" ?
(A) Shelley (B) Frost (C) Keats (D) Coleridge (Ans : A)
159. In the sentence, "I shall write to you when I have time,"
when I have time is a–
(A) Noun clause (B) Adverb clause (C) Adjective clause (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
160. In the sentence, "The boy who topped the class is my brother,"
who topped the class is a–
(A) Noun clause (B) Adverb clause (C) Adjective clause (D) None of the above (Ans : C)