Uttarakhand Public Services Commission (UKPSC)
Review Officer (RO)/ Assistant Review Officer (ARO) Recruitment Exam 2016
Uttarakhand Samiksha Adhikari (RO/ARO) Recruitment Exam of the year 2016 held on dated 26 June, 2016. We are giving 120 questions of General Knowledge of this exam with answers.
1. Arrange the following movements of Mahatma Gandhi in the right order from the beginning–
(a) Champaran, Ahmedabad, Kheda, Non-cooperation (b) Ahmedabad, Champaran, Kheda, Non-cooperation
(c) Kheda, Charriparan, Ahmedabad, Non-cooperation (d) Non-cooperation, Champaran, Kheda, Ahmedabad (Ans : a)
2. What was 'Sangam' in ancient India?
(a) Sangha or Mandai of Tamil poets. (b) Tamil King's court poets (c) Tamil settlement (d) Mesolithic graves (Ans : a)
3. Who built the Khajuraho temples?
(a) Vijaynagar Kings (b) Bahmani Sultans (c) Chandel Kings (d) Gupta Kings (Ans : c)
4. The real name of Sabarmati Ashram–
(a) Gandhi Ashram (b) Satyagraha Ashram (c) Finiks Farm (d) Dandi Ashram (Ans : b)
5. From 1906 to 1920, the role of Md. Ali Jinnah during freedom struggle of India was–
(a) Separatist (b) Fundamentalist (c) Nationalist (d) Nationalist and Secular (Ans : d)
6. Dr. BR Ambedkar published three periodicals for the safeguard of Dalit rights. Which of the following is not one of them?
(a) Mook Nayak (b) Wahishkrit Bharat (c) Wahishkrit Samaj (d) Equality Janta (Ans : c)
7. By which date did the British Government declare to grant India full self government?
(a) January 26, 1946 (b) August 15, 1947 (c) December 31, 1947 (d) June 30, 1948 (Ans : d)
8. The first Sultan. who started the work of translation of Hindu religious texts into Persian language, was–
(a) Jltutmish (b) Alauddin Khilji (c) Mohammad-bin-Tughlaq (d) Firoz Shah Tughlaq (Ans : d)
9. Which was the highest gold coin in the reign of Akbar ?
(a) lIahi (b) Jalali (c) Shahanshah (d) Asharfi (Ans : c)
10. Who started the 'Silk-route' (Marg) for Indians?
(a) Kanishka (b) Harshvardhan (c) Ashok (d) Fahien (Ans : a)
11. 'Privy Purse' was related to whom in the post-independence period?
(a) Landlords (b) Former kings (c) Industrialists (d) India planters (Ans : b)
12. Who nominates the 12 members for Rajya Sabha in India?
(a) Prime Minister (b) Chief Justice (c) President (d) Vice President (Ans : c)
13. In the Constitution of India, the residuary powers are entrusted to–
(a) State (b) Centre (c) Both (a) and (b) (d) None of these (Ans : b)
14. By which Constitutional Amendment, the subject of 'Education' was transferred from State list to Concurrent list?
(a) 5th (b) 9th (c) 42nd (d) 44th (Ans : c)
15. Which of the following state does not have 'Legislative Council ?
(a) Uttar Pradesh (b) Maharashtra (c) Karnataka (d) Uttarakhand (Ans : d)
16. The concept of Public Interest Litigation (PIL) originated in–
(a) United Kingdom (b) Australia (c) United States of America (d) India (Ans : c)
17. The Constitution of India declares India as–
(a) A voluntary Federation (b) A Confederation (c) A Union of States (d) A Federation (Ans : c)
18. Who settles the dispute regarding the election of the President of India?
(a) Supreme Court (b) Election Commission (c) Parliament (d) None of the above (Ans : a)
19. Who propounded the theory of 'Economic Drain' ?
(a) MK Gandhi (b) Jawahar Lal Nehru (c) Dadabhai Naoroji (d) RC Dutt (Ans : c)
20. The first 'Lokpal Bill' was introduced in the Parliament of India in–
(a) 1971 (b) 1967 (c) 1972 (d) 1968 (Ans : d)
21. The first book written by MK Gandhi was–
(a) My Experiments with Truth (b) Hind Swaraj (c) India of My Dreams (d) Key to the Health (Ans : b)
22. The main object of a 'Budget' is–
(a) to ensure accountability (b) to serve as a tool of management
(c) to facilitate economic analysis (d) All of the above (Ans : d)
23. 'Parliamentary form of government' functions on the principle of–
(a) separation of powers (b) checks and Balances
(c) close relationship between Legislature and Executive (d) control of Judiciary on the Executive (Ans : c)
24. The 'Zero Hour' in the Parliament of India starts–
(a) first hour of the sitting (b) last hour of the sitting (c) at 12.00 noon (d) at any time (Ans : c)
25. Which part of the Constitution of India is related to the 'citizenship' ?
(a) II (b) III (c) IV (d) V (Ans : a)
26. Major Somnath Sharma, who was honoured with Paramvir Chakra posthumously in 1947 belonged to–
(a) Gorkha Rifle (b) Garhwal Rifle (c) Dogra Regiment (d) Kumaon Regiment (Ans : d)
27. The Lakhu cave having ancient rock paintings is located in–
(a) Chamoli (b) Nainital (c) Haridwar (d) Almora (Ans : d)
28. The court language of Katyuris was–
(a) Kumaoni (b) Garhwali (c) Sanskrit (d) Prakrit (Ans : c)
29. The pass connecting Darma and Byans valley is–
(a) Sinla (b) Unta (c) Jyatia (d) Ramal (Ans : a)
30. The objective of forming the 'Praja Mandal' was a–
(a) to get freedom from British rule (b) to get freedom from Gorkha rule
(c) to organise people for social reform (d) to free the people from mi sule of Tehri State (Ans : d)
31. The Khatling glacier is the origin place of–
(a) Jalkur river (b) Bhilangana river (c) Pilang Ganga river (d) Balganga river (Ans : b)
32. Which of the following is not-a foot hill town?
(a) Tanakpur (b) Kotdwar (c) Rudrapur (d) Haridwar (Ans : c)
33. The famous 'Kailash-Manasarovar, Yatra' passes through
(a) Niti pass (b) lipulekh pass (c) Lampiya Dhura pass (d) Barahoti pass (Ans : b)
34. Which one of the following is not a railway terminus point in Uttarakhand?
(a) Kathgodam (b) Dehradun (c) Kotdwar (d) Laksar (Ans : d)
35. In which district does the 'Nandhaur Dim' lie?
(a) Udham Singh' Nagar (b) Nainital (c) Garhwal (d) Haridwar (Ans : d)
36. In the Himalaya, the 'Main Central Thrust (MCT)' separates–
(a) Lesser Himalaya and Outer Himalaya (b) 'Dun' Valleys and the Shivaliks
(c) Greater Himalaya and Trans-Himalaya (d) Greater Himalaya and Lesser Himalaya (Ans : d)
37. The historical name of Uttarakashi is–
(a) Saumyakashi (b) Shrikshetra (c) Gangotri (d) Barahat (Ans : d)
38. During which period did the colonial conflict start in Uttarakhand ?
(a) Mughal period (b) Gorkha period (c) Dogra period (d) British period (Ans : a)
39. Which of the following was known as 'Kubjamrak' in ancient times?
(a) 'Rishikesh (b) Devprayaq (c) Haridwar (d) Sri nagar (Ans : a)
40. In which language are the 'Pandukeshwar copper plates' written?
(a) Pall (b) Prakrit (c) Sanskrit (d) Armike (Ans : a)
41. In which of the following dances, the song is not sung?
(a) Chhopti (b) Johra (c) Chhapeli (d) Chholia (Ans : d)
42. The 'Dhawaj temple' of 9th century in Dwarahat is also known as–
(a) Maha Mrityunjay temple (b) Katarmal temple (c) Gujardev temple (d) Kachheri temple (Ans : c)
43. Which of the following tribes worship the deity 'Bhumsen' ?
(a) Tharu (b) Boxa (c) Jaad (d) Bhotia (Ans : c)
44. 'Brass City' in Uttarakhand is being, set-up at–
(a) Bajpur (b) Rudrapur (c) Pithoragarh (d) Alrnora (Ans : d)
45. In which year will the 38th National Games be organised in Uttarakhand ?
(a) 2016 (b) 2017 (c) 2018 (d) 2020 (Ans : c)
46. Which city of Uttarakhand was recently ranked stst in the list of 'Clean Cities' of India?
(a) Dehradun (b) Roorkee (c) Haldwani (d) Haridwar (Ans : a)
47. The President's Rule in Uttarakhand was enforced on–
(a) March 20, 2016 (b) March 25, 2016 (c) March 27, 2016 (d) March 29,2016 (Ans : c)
48. Which of the following is dominant in heredity?
(a) Albinism (b) Rh-factor (c) Colour blindness (d) Haemophilia (Ans : d)
49. The drug produced through biotechnology for cancer treatment is–
(a) Interferon (b) Insulin (c) HGH (d) TSH (Ans : a)
50. How many lobes are found in human lungs?
(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 4 (d) 5 (Ans : c)
51. The bird that can move its upper jaw is–
(a) pigeon (b) parrot (c) vulture (d) sparrow (Ans : b)
52. Which of the following develops immune system in the body?
(a) Antigen (b) Antibody (c) Enzymes (d) Hormones (Ans : b)
53. Which of the following causes Swine flue?
(a) Virus (b) Bacteria (c) Fungi (d) Tape worm (Ans : a)
54. The main element of protein is–
(a) hydrogen (b) nitrogen (c) oxygen (d) carbon (Ans : b)
55. To which theory of conservation is related the 'first law of thermodynamics'?
(a) Charge (b) Momentum (c) Energy (d) Matter (Ans : c)
56. In view of environmental problems, the use of which insecticide has been reduced?
(a) Gammexane (b) DOT (c) BHC (d) DMT (Ans : b)
57. By which of the following can petrol fire be extinguished ?
(a) Sand (b) Water (c) Carbon dioxide (d) Saw dust (Ans : c)
58. Fruit ripening hormone is–
(a) ethylene (b) auxin (c) kinetin (d) All of these (Ans : a)
59. Seeds of Sunflower plant contain–
(a) alkaloids (b) oils (c) dyes (d) crystal (Ans : b)
60. The 'parsec' is the unit of–
(a) distance (b) time (c) energy (d) temperature (Ans : a)