These Sociology Questions are multiple choice questions MCQ that ask you to select only one answer choice from a list of four choices.
1. Social change is responsible for–
(A) Social progress (B) Social evolution (C) Social disorganisation (D) All the above (Ans : D)
2. Whose theory is known as functional theory of social stratification?
(A) Marx (B) Max Weber (C) Davis and Moore (D) Sorokin (Ans : C)
3. An unskilled worker becomes semiskilled and skilled. What type of mobility is this ?
(A) Intra generational occupational mobility (B) Inter generational occupational mobility
(C) Vertical social mobility (D) Horizontal social mobility (Ans : C)
4. Who gave the name Asiatic Society in his Classification of Societies?
(A) Durkheim (B) Spencer (C) Toennies (D) Marx (Ans : D)
5. The book 'The People of India' has been written by–
(A) Risley (B) Ghurye (C) Iravati Karve (D) D.N. Majumdar (Ans : A)
6. Who has written the book 'Races and Culture of India' ?
(A) Guha (B) Hauble (C) D.N. Majumdar (D) Herbert Mead (Ans : C)
7. Which of the following is not correctly matched?
(A) The Decline of the West – Spengler (B) A Study of History – Toynbee
(C) The Holy Family – Max Weber (D) The Remebered Village – M. N. Srinivas (Ans : C)
8. Those beliefs and forms of behaviour that are expected of any normal member of a society are called–
(A) Cultural universals (B) Cultural absolutes (C) Culture complex (D) Culture-traits (Ans : D)
9. Sorokin classified relationships into three types. Which of the following is not included in his list?
(A) Family relationship (B) Contractual relationship (C) Voluntary relationship (D) Compulsory relationship (Ans : A)
10. The network of patterned human behaviour that is the product of interaction and that at the same time, guides interaction is called–
(A) Social organisation (B) Social system (C) Social structure (D) Social integration (Ans : B)
11. Proximity to nature is a characteristic feature of–
(A) Agrarian society (B) Urban society (C) Industrial society (D) Post-industrial society (Ans : A)
12. The total organisation of social life within a limited area may be termed as–
(A) A community (B) An association (C) An institution (D) A society (Ans : A)
13. Who said, "Statuses are occupied, but roles are played" ?
(A) Linton (B) Bendix (C) MacIver (D) Bierstedt (Ans : A)
14. Which of the following will not be considered as Primary group?
(A) Family (B) Peer Group (C) Neighbourhood (D) Crowd (Ans : B)
15. Which group of the following thinkers is related to linear theory of social change?
(A) Comte, Pareto, Marx (B) Pareto, Spengler, Marx (C) Marx, Ogburn, Comte (D) Marx, Sorokin, Pareto (Ans : B)
16. As per Hindu Dharrnsastra marriage between a Brahmin woman and a man from 'Vaishya Varna' is called–
(A) Pratiloma (B) Anuloma (C) Exogamy (D) Love marriage (Ans : A)
17. Who among the following has divided races into seven categories?
(A) Hutton (B) Risley (C) Huxley (D) Heakal (Ans : B)
18. Who wrote the book 'Hindu Sanskar' ?
(A) Raj Bali Pandey (B) G.S. Ghurye (C) S.C. Dubey (D) K.M. Kapadia (Ans : A)
19. Who wrote the book 'Sadhus of India' ?
(A) I.P. Desai (B) S.C. Dubey (C) G.S. Ghurye (D) B.D. Tripathi (Ans : C)
20. According to whom culture is the memory of the human race?
(A) Ross (B) Gnaniecki (C) Charles Page (D) G.S. Ghurye (Ans : D)
21. To which one of the following the process of Sanskritization is related?
(A) Religious group (B) Ingroup (C) Reference group (D) Primary group (Ans : C)
22. Who propounded the concept of 'Relative Deprivation' ?
(A) R. K. Merton (B) Cooley (C) Gillin and Gillin (D) Talcott Parsons (Ans : A)
23. Who is of the view that Potential for personal development is crushed in advanced industrial societies?
(A) Marcuse (B) Marx (C) Weber (D) Durkheim (Ans : B)
24. "Culture is a configuration of behaviour and the results of behaviour, whose component elements are shared and transmitted by the member of a particular Society. " Identify the thinker–
(A) Ralf Linton (B) E. B. Tylor (C) R. Bierstedt (D) Herskovits (Ans : A)
25. The success of planned change in a democratic society is possible only through–
(A) Legislation (B) Compulsory Participation (C) Voluntary Participation (D) Public Cooperation (Ans : D)
26. Nadel's conception of social phenomena is based on three criteria. Which one of the following is not included in his list?
(A) Repetitiveness of the social phenomena (B) Durability of the social phenomena
(C) Moving equilibrium (D) Uniqueness of the social phenomena (Ans : B)
27. Who gave the concept of 'Nonmaterial culture' ?
(A) Sorokin (B) Max Weber (C) Pareto (D) Ogburn (Ans : D)
28. The book 'The Sociological Imagination' was written by–
(A) MacIver and Page (B) T.B. Bottomore (C) M.N. Srinivas (D) C. Wright Mills (Ans : D)
29. "The aim of Sociology is to treat social facts as things." The statements is given by–
(A) Ginsberg (B) Simmel (C) Ogburn (D) Durkheim (Ans : D)
30. Who among the following wrote the book 'Indian Village' ?
(A) R.K. Mukherjee (B) D.P. Mukherjee (C) P.C. Joshi (D) S.C. Dube (Ans : D)
31. 'Society is a relation among personal ideas. ' Identify the thinker–
(A) Mead (B) Spencer (C) Cooley (D) Baldwin (Ans : D)
32. Who has defined that "A community is an area of social living marked by some degree of social coherence" ?
(A) Manzer (B) MacIver and Page (C) Davis (D) Kimball Young (Ans : B)
33. According to Dahrendorf the principal source of conflict in modern industrial societies is–
(A) Economic interest (B) Authority relations (C) Class interest (D) Caste interest (Ans : B)
34. Who among the following propounded the concept of 'internal and external conflict' ?
(A) Lewis Coser (B) Weber (C) R. Dahrendorf (D) George Simmel (Ans : A)
35. Which one of the following is a disassociative social process?
(A) Modernization (B) Cooperation (C) Competition (D) Assimilation (Ans : C)
36. The concept of 'Dominant Caste' first appeared in–
(A) The Dominant Caste in Ramapura (B) Homo Hierarchicus
(C) The social system of A Mysore Village (D) Caste Dominance and Factionalism (Ans : A)
37. Which one of the following writers has used the concept of caste in the study of Western Societies?
(A) W.L. Warner (B) Karl Marx (C) Max Weber (D) O.C. Cox (Ans : A)
38. Who has written the book "Nature of Sociological Theory: An Action Approach" ?
(A) P. Sorokin (B) T. Parsons (C) B.D. Tripathi (D) E.B. Tylor (Ans : B)
39. In which year Sixth Five Year Plan was started?
(A) 1977 AD. (B) 1979 AD. (C) 1980 AD. (D) 1982 AD. (Ans : C)
40. Name the author of the book 'Delinquency Areas'–
(A) Park and Burgess (B) R. Shaw and others (C) E. R. Mowrer (D) N. S. Hayner (Ans : A)
41. Who wrote the book 'Street Corner Society' ?
(A) Franz Alexander (B) William Whyte (C) Frederic Thrasher (D) George Vold (Ans : B)
42. What is the maximum age limit of a female juvenile delinquent?
(A) 16 years (B) 18 years (C) 19 years (D) 21 years (Ans : B)
43. A four year old boy has stabbed his cousin brother. The act of the boy will be called–
(A) Crime (B) Juvenile delinquency (C) White collar crime (D) None of the above (Ans : D)
44. Who is of the view that "Deviance cannot be dismissed simply as a behaviour which disrupts stability in society, but may itself be, in controlled qualities an important condition for preserving stability" ?
(A) Merton (B) Erikson (C) Parsons (D) Mowrer (Ans : C)
45. The Theory of 'Differential Association' in criminology was propounded by–
(A) Taft (B) Gillin and Gillin (C) Lombroso (D) Sutherland (Ans : D)
46. A doctor kills his compounder. His act may be termed as–
(A) White collar crime (B) Crime (C) Sin (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
47. Who treats conformity and deviance as two ends of the same scale?
(A) Durkheim (B) Merton (C) Parsons (D) Wallerstein (Ans : B)
48. Suicide by an individual who has detached himself from group life is called–
(A) Egoistic (B) Altruistic (C) Anomie (D) Pragmatic (Ans : A)
49. Who said, "occupation and occupation alone is responsible for the origin of the caste system" ?
(A) Nesfield (B) Risley (C) Ghurye (D) Hocart (Ans : A)
50. Who gave the classification of society as militant and industrial ?
(A) Auguste Comte (B) P.A. Sorokin (C) Herbert Spencer (D) Karl Marx (Ans : C)