1. Given its extreme form, competition could result into which of the following?
(A) Disorganisation (B) Anarchy (C) Dictatorship (D) Conflict (Ans : A)
2. Assimilation means–
(A) Exchange of cultural traits between two communities (B) Dominance of one community over the other
(C) Two communities fighting with each other (D) None of the above (Ans : D)
3. Who gave the 'looking glass self theory' of socialization?
(A) Emile Durkheim (B) Charles Cooley (C) R. K. Merton (D) Sigmund Freud (Ans : B)
4. The Backward Classes Commission under the Chairmanship of B. P. Mandal was set up by the Union Government in–
(A) 1979 AD. (B) 1981 AD. (C) 1980 AD. (D) 1984 AD. (Ans : A)
5. Which Article of the Constitution deals with specifying a particular Tribe as a Scheduled Tribe?
(A) Article 342 (B) Article 343 (C) Article 344 (D) Article 345 (Ans : A)
6. 'Satyashodhak Samaj' was founded by Jyoti Rao Phule in–
(A) 1850 AD. (B) 1870 AD. (C) 1871 AD. (D) 1873 AD. (Ans : D)
7. According to UNESCO study group what can be the basis of classification of races?
(A) Purity of race (B) Physical traits (C) Intellectual inferiority (D) Intellectual superiority (Ans : B)
8. What is the main objective of Dormitory ?
(A) Sex education (B) Entertainment (C) Sense of living together (D) Sharing of responsibility (Ans : C)
9. Which Article of the Indian Constitution forbids the practice of 'untouchability' in any form?
(A) Article 17 (B) Article 22 (C) Article 45 (D) Article 216 (Ans : A)
10. According to Mannheim, which one of the following is the main objective of democratic planning?
(A) Increase in per capita income (B) Transformation of man and society
(C) Spread of education (D) Eradication of poverty (Ans : B)
11. Which of the following aspects is the kingpin in the process of Sanskritisation ?
(A) Horizontal mobility (B) Vertical mobility (C) Anticipatory socialization (D) Acculturation (Ans : C)
12. The main reason for the economic backwardness of the simple tribal societies is–
(A) Poverty and ignorance (B) Social traditions (C) Primitive technology (D) Kinship (Ans : C)
13. 'Integrated Tribal Development Project' was launched in India in the year–
(A) 1975 A.D. (B) 1980 A.D. (C) 1983 A.D. (D) 1987 A.D. (Ans : B)
14. Who wrote the book 'Sociological Theories of Today' ?
(A) R.K. Merton (B) P.A. Sorokin (C) N.S. Timasheff (D) T. Parsons (Ans : C)
15. Who propounded the concept of 'collective representation' ?
(A) Cooley (B) Freud (C) Mead (D) Durkheim (Ans : D)
16. Who classified social control into two types (1) direct and (2) indirect?
(A) Durkheim (B) E.C. Hayes (C) E.A. Ross (D) Mannheim (Ans : D)
17. Who gave the 'Limit Theory' of social change?
(A) Ogburn (B) Pareto (C) Marx (D) Sorokin (Ans : D)
18. Who gave the concept of 'Manifest' and 'Latent' function?
(A) P. Sorokin (B) T. Parsons (C) Levi Strauss (D) R. K. Merton (Ans : D)
19. Which of the following is responsible for maintaining order in human society ?
(A) Sanctions (B) Beliefs (C) Division of labour (D) Group opinion (Ans : B)
20. Which of the following statements is not true of civilization?
(A) It always advances (B) The stage of its advancement can be measured
(C) Spiritual force is inherent in it (D) It can be adopted without changing (Ans : C)
21. The sociological meaning of social change refers to change in–
(A) Society (B) Institution (C) Association (D) Social relationships (Ans : D)
22. The deterministic theory of social change lays emphasis on–
(A) Several factors (B) Two factors (C) One factor (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
23. Who wrote the book 'Man and Society' ?
(A) P. A. Sorokin (B) Karl Mannheim (C) A. J. Toynbee (D) E. Framm (Ans : B)
24. The most universal incest taboo prohibits marriage between–
(A) Mother and son (B) Father and daughter (C) Sister and brother (D) All the above (Ans : D)
25. Which one of the following statements about 'Sanskritization' is correct?
(A) It is a process of positional change (B) It is an exogenous source of change
(C) It is a process of structural change (D) It started with the advent of British Rule in India (Ans : A)
26. Who gave' classificatory and descriptive kinship terminology' ?
(A) Morgan (B) Hutton (C) Rivers (D) S.C. Dubey (Ans : A)
27. Which one of the provisions of Hindu Marriage has been altered by Special Marriage Act, 1954 ?
(A) Exogamy rules (B) Hypergamy rules (C) Endogamy rules (D) Monogamy rules (Ans : C)
28. Marriage by purchase of woman is called–
(A) Daiva (B) Arsha (C) Asur (D) Prajapatya (Ans : C)
29. The formula 'Place, Work and People' was postulated for the study of family by–
(A) Frederic Le Play (B) C.H. Cooley (C) E. Demolins (D) Henri de Tourville (Ans : A)
30. The sociological perspective of marriage focuses on–
(A) System of roles (B) Process of child rearing
(C) Rituals and ceremonies (D) Sexual relationships between men and women (Ans : A)