Intelligence Bureau (IB) Personal Assistant Examination 2015-16
(Held on 20 March, 2016)
1. A alone can do a piece of work in 6 days and B alone in 8 days. A and B undertook to do it for Rs. 3200. With the help of C, they completed the work in 3 days. How much is to be paid to C?
(a) Rs. 375 (b) Rs. 400 (c) Rs. 600 (d) Rs. 800 (Ans : b)
2. At present, the ratio between the ages of A and B is 4 : 3. After 6 years, A's age will be 26 years. What is the age of B at present?
(a) 12 yr (b) 19 yr (c) 21 yr (d) 15 yr (Ans : d)
3. Solve : 112 × 54 = ?
(a) 67000 (b) 70000 (c) 76500 (d) 77200 (Ans : b)
4. What least number must be added to 1056 so that the sum is completely divisible by 23?
(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 18 (d) 21 (Ans : a)
5. 'Boita Bandana' and 'Nua Khai' are festivals of which State?
(a) Odisha (b) Jharkhand (c) Bihar (d) Assam (Ans : a)
6. 'jallikattu', a festival on which the Supreme Court of India has recently upheld its ban, is celebrated in–
(a) Andhra Pradesh (b) Telangana (c) Karnataka (d) Tamil Nadu (Ans : d)
7. Tim Cook, the Chief Operating Officer of Apple Inc. which produces iPhones in US, was recently in news–
(a) for receiving and welcoming PM of India during his recent US visit
(b) being the closest friend of Sundar Pichai
(c) for highlighting the legacy of Steve Jobs
(d) for refusing to share the code of Apple iPhones with FBI (Ans : d)
8. Entomology is the science that studies–
(a) behaviour of human beings (b) insects
(c) origin and history of technical and scientific terms (d) rocks (Ans : b)
9. SAAR Secretariat is based at–
(a) Kathmandu (b) Islamabad (c) Colombo (d) New Delhi (Ans : a)
10. Which is the oldest paramilitary force in India?
(a) Border Security Force (b) ITBP (c) Coast Guard (d) Assam Rifles (Ans : d)
11. Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated on–
(a) January 30, 1947 (b) January 30, 1948 (c) January 30, 1949 (d) January 31, 1948 (Ans : b)
12. Who amongst the following retired as the Delhi Police Commissioner in February, 2016?
(a) BS Bassi (b) Neeraj Kumar (c) AK Sinha (d) Alok Kumar Verma (Ans : a)
13. Which among the following has never been the Union Home Minister?
(a) P. Chidambaram (b) Sharad Pawar (c) Sushi I Kumar Shinde (d) Rajnath Singh (Ans : b)
14. Who is the ex-officio Chairperson of National Disaster Management Authority?
(a) President (b) Home Minister (c) Prime Minister (d) Vice-President (Ans : c)
15. Which of the following causes 'poliomyelitis" (commonly known as polio)?
(a) Enterovirus (b) Mumps virus (c) Dengue virus (d) Rotavirus' (Ans : a)
16. Languages of which region of India belong to the Dravidian family?
(a) Northern region (b) Southern region (c) Eastern region (d) Western region (Ans : b)
17. Headquarters of UNESCO is located in–
(a) Paris (b) London (c) Lisbon (d) New York (Ans : a)
18. Who painted the famous portrait of 'Mona Lisa'?
(a) Columbus (b) Francesco Albani (c) Vasco da Gama (d) Leonardo da Vinci (Ans : d)
19. The headquarters of State Bank of India is located in–
(a) Mumbai (b) New Delhi (c) Ahmedabad (d) Chennai (Ans : a)
20. The Olympic symbol consists of how many intertwined rings?
(a) 4 (b) 6 (c) 7 (d) 5 (Ans : d)
21. Who was the first black President of South Africa?
(a) Thabo Mbeki (b) Jacob Zuma (c) Nelson Mandela (d) PW Botha (Ans : c)
22. Which is the highest literary award of the world?
(a) Nobel Prize (b) Booker Prize (c) Pulitzer Prize (d) Magsaysay Prize (Ans : b)
23. Potato is the outgrowth of–
(a) root (b) fruit (c) leaf (d) stem (Ans : d)
24. Ptyalin is an enzyme produced by which of the following glands?
(a) Pituitary (b) Thyroid (c) Salivary (d) Pancreas (Ans : c)
25. On August, 2015, which bank has launched the first of its kind fully automated digital locker 'Smart Vault'?
(a) ICICI (b) HDFC (c) SBI (d) PNB (Ans : a)
26. Indigenous Visibility Measuring System to check the runway visual range, developed by CSIR, called as 'Dristi' has been recently installed at–
(a) Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad (b) Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi
(c) Sardar Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad (d) Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai (Ans : b)
27. Matti Makhonan, a Finnish Engineer, who died in June, 2015, was the founder of which revolutionary service of mobile phones?
(a) Video sharing (b) Multimedia Messaging Service (c) Short Messaging Service (d) Radio on mobile (Ans : c)
28. The new catchphrase launched by e-Commerce company 'Quikr' is–
(a) Aasaan hai Badalna (b) Ab Badalna Aasaan Hai (c) Badalna hua Aasaan (d) Badal Dalo Sab (Ans : a)
29. The Srilankan flag consists of–
(a) tiger (b) lion (c) horse (d) elephant (Ans : b)
30. Which among the following is not a fundamental fight?
(a) Right to information (b) Right to equality (c) Right against exploitation (d) Right to freedom of religion (Ans : a)
31. The founder and CEO of 'Yes Bank' is–
(a) Ashok Kapoor (b) Rana Kapoor (c) Uday Kapoor (d) Mohit Kapoor (Ans : b)
32. Which planet is also called the 'Blue planet'?
(a) Earth (b) Saturn (c) Mars (d) Venus (Ans : a)
33. Which date has been declared as the 'World Yoga Day' by the United Nations?
(a) February 21 (b) August 21 (c) January 21 (d) June 21 (Ans : d)
34. August 20 is observed as–
(a) Sadbhavana Diwas (b) Earth Day (c) No Tobacco Day (d) None of the above (Ans : a)
35. In which of the following festivals are boat races a special feature?
(a) Bihu (b) Onam (c) Pongal (d) Navratri (Ans : b)
36. Who is known as 'the Most Qualified Person in India' according to Limca Book of Records?
(a) Dr. Shrikant Jichkar (b) Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam (c) Dr. Sumitra Devi (d) Dr. Kushal Chaterjee (Ans : a)
37. Simple interest on Rs. 1000 @ 10% per annum is–
(a) Rs. 10 (b) Rs. 50 (c) Rs. 200 (d) Rs. 100 (Ans : d)
38. A woman is 5 years younger than her husband and 3 times as old as her daughter. If the daughter attains 21 years of age after 6 years, what is the present age of the husband?
(a) 50 yr (b) 55 yr (c) 40 yr (d) 45 yr (Ans : a)
39. If 35 × 35 = 1225, then 3.5 x 3.5 is–
(a) 122.5 (b) 12.25 (c) 1.225 (d) 1121.5 (Ans : b)
40. Rahul purchases a watch for Rs. 250 and sells it for Rs. 500. His profit percentage is–
(a) 200% (b) 50% (c) 300% (d) 100% (Ans : d)
41. Who gives recognition to political parties in India?
(a) Speaker, Lok Sabha (b) Election Commission of India (c) Prime Minister (d) Supreme Court (Ans : b)
42. The minimum age of the voter in India–
(a) 15 yr (b) 18 yr (c) 21 yr (d) 25 yr (Ans : b)
43. The present Lok Sabha is the–
(a) 13th Lok Sabha (b) 14th Lok Sabha (c) 15th Lok Sabha (d) 16th Lok Sabha (Ans : d)
44. The President convenes and prorogues all sessions of the Parliament in consultation with–
(a) Speaker, Lok Sabha (b) Prime Minister
(c) the Prime Minister and the leader of opposition in Lok Sabha (d) None of the above (Ans : b)
45. The President can dissolve the Lok Sabha on the–
(a) advice of the Prime Minister (b) advice of the Chief Justice of India
(c) recommendation of. the Lok Sabha (d) recommendation of the Rajya Sabha (Ans : a)
46. The Census in India is done after a gap of how many years?
(a) 15 yr (b) 10 yr (c) 5 yr (d) 20 yr (Ans : b)
47. The National Chemical Laboratory, a constituent member of the CSIR, is situated in–
(a) New Delhi (b) Pune (c) Bengaluru (d) Patna (Ans : b)
48. 'National Archives' is located in–
(a) Pune (b) Kolkata (c) New Delhi (d) Mumbai (Ans : c)
49. Find out the next number in the series.
36, 34, 30, 28, 24, ……
(a) 20 (b) 22 (c) 23 (d) 26 (Ans : b)
50. Find out the next number in the series.
80, 10, 70, 15, 60,……
(a) 20 (b) 25 (c) 50 (d) 45 (Ans : a)
51. Ajanta Ellora caves are situated near–
(a) Ajmer (b) Jaipur (c) Patna (d) Aurangabad (Ans : d)
52. Swine flu is caused by–
(a) bacteria (b) virus (c) fungus (d) None of these (Ans : b)
53. Which organ gets affected in Hepatitis?
(a) Lungs (b) Brain (c) Heart (d) liver (Ans : d)
54. Which one is not the blood group?
(a) A (b) AB (c) K (d) O (Ans : c)
55. AIDS is an acronym for
(a) Anti Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (b) Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome
(c) Anti Immuno Deficiency Symptom (d) Acquired Immuno Deficiency Symptom (Ans : b)
56. 'Apsara' is the name of India's first
(a) railway locomotive (b) helicopter (c) nuclear reactor (d) unmanned aircraft (Ans : c)
57. Siachen is a–
(a) desert frontier zone between India Pakistan (b) frontier zone between Afghanistan and India
(c) frontier zone in India and Myanmar (d) glacier frontier zone between India and Pakistan (Ans : d)
58. Golconda fort is in which State?
(a) Telangana (b) Gujarat (c) Andhra Pradesh (d) Karnataka (Ans : a)
59. The pigment that gives colour to the skin is–
(a) carotin (b) melanin (c) gelatin (d) haemoglobin (Ans : b)
60. As per lee ranking list released on December 31, 2015, which Indian cricketer was declared No. 1 test bowler?
(a) Harbhajan Singh (b) Ravindra Jadeja (c) Mohd. Shami (d) Ravichandran Ashwin (Ans : d)
61. 2016 Olympics are being held at–
(a) Paris (b) Rio de Janeiro (c) Brazilia (d) Seoul (Ans : b)
62. Which country is not a member of BRICS?
(a) Russia (b) India (c) Bhutan (d) China (Ans : c)
63. The intersecting lines drawn on maps and globes are–
(a) latitudes (b) longitudes (c) geographic grids (d) None of these (Ans : c)
64. The land area of which of these continents is the least?
(a) Africa (b) Asia (c) Europe (d) Australia (Ans : d)
65. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute is at–
(a) Darjeeling (b) Dehradun (c) Shimla (d) Dispur (Ans : a)
66. Which of the following is used in pencils?
(a) Sulphur (b) Graphite (c) Charcoal (d) None of these (Ans : d)
67. Which keys enable the input of numbers quickly?
(a) Ctrl, shift and alt (b) Function keys (c) Arrow keys (d) Numeric keypad (Ans : c)
68. On CD-RW, you can–
(a) read and write (b) only read information (c) read, write and rewrite information (d) only write information (Ans : c)
69. ASCII stands for–
(a) American Special Computer for Information Interchange (b) American Standard Computer for Information Interchange
(c) American Standard Code for Information Interchange (d) American Special Code for Information Interchange (Ans : c)
70. Which of the following can input images, pictures, etc to a computer?
(a) Plotter (b) Mouse (c) Printer (d) Scanner (Ans : d)
71. The range of frequencies that a medium can pass is called–
(a) Bit (b) Bit rate (c) Bandwidth (d) Bit interval (Ans : c)
72. Who was the Chief Guest at the Republic Day Parade of January, 2016?
(a) Francois Holiande, French President (b) Barack Obama, US President
(c) Shinzo Abe,. PM Japan (d) Yingluck Shinawatra, PM Thailand (Ans : a)
73. Where is Paradip port?
(a) Tamil Nadu (b) Odisha (c) Andhra Pradesh (d) Kerala (Ans : b)
74. A chair is bought for Rs. 900 and sold at Rs. 810. Find the gain or loss percentage?
(a) 10% gain (b) 10% loss (c) 12% loss (d) 12% gain (Ans : b)
75. Solve : 64% of 2650 + 40% of 320 = ?
(a) 1824 (b) 1902 (c) 1829 (d) 1964 (Ans : a)
76. Who is the present Chief of Army Staff?
(a) Dalbir Singh Suhaag (b) VK Singh (c) Bikram Singh (d) Deepak Kumar (Ans : a)
77. Fiscal policy in India is formulated by
(a) Reserve Bank of India (b) NITI Aayog (c) Ministry of Finance (d) None of the above (Ans : c)
78. For which category of differently abled candidates has the UPSC allowed the use of scribes?
(a) Deaf (b) Blind (c) Physically impaired (d) Dumb (Ans : b)
79. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) was nationalised in the year
(a) 1935 (b) 1945 (c) 1949 (d) 1969 (Ans : c)
80. The present kit sponsor of Indian cricket team, is–
(a) Reebok (b) Adidas (c) Puma (d) Nike (Ans : d)