United India Insurance Co. Ltd. Assistant Exam 2015
English Languages Solved Paper
Directions-(Q. 1-5) The sentence has a blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the word that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. ……the quarrel she thought to herself "What is the use of this wealth if I can't make a sacrifice so that others can live in peace and harmony?"
(A) In (B) After (C) Laterly (D) While (E) Alias (Ans : B)
2. The cabinet has approved its …… to develop 400 railway stations using a contract method called the 'Swiss Challenge'.
(A) application (B) idea (C) bidding (D) proposal (E) credential (Ans : D)
3. Though there was no internal assessment, students were …… and came on time and teachers rarely had to exercise their authority.
(A) disciplined (B) regularly (C) organizing (D) relying (E) dishonest (Ans : A)
4. The South west monsoon which arrives in June and …… by September end brings more than 75 per cent of India's annual rainfall.
(A) gone (B) leaves (C) travels (D) disappearing (E) forecast (Ans : B)
5. I was pleased with the day as I had accomplished almost …… the things that I wanted to.
(A) complete (B) whole (C) above (D) naught (E) all (Ans : E)
Directions-(Q. 6-15) Read the following passage carefully and answer the given question. Certain words have been given in bold to help you locate them while answering some of the questions.
One day, in the court, amused by Jagan's presence of mind, King Roya said to him, 'Jagan, you have always pleased me with your intelligence. I would like to gift you a town as a token of my appreciation for your art.'
Many days passed by and the King forgot all his promise. Jagan began to wonder as to how to remind the King of his promise.
One day, an Arab came to the town of Vijaypur with a Camel. Nobody in the town had seen a camel before. The King and Jagan also went to see the Camel. Upon having a look at it, the king exclaimed, "It is such an ugly animal. It has such a long neck and an ugly hump on its back." To which Jagan immediately said, "Your Majesty ! I think the Camel was a king in his previous birth. He must have promised someone to gift him a town and then forgotten. To punish the King, God must have made him a Camel. "
The king realized that Jagan was trying to remind him of his forgotten promise. As soon as the King returned to the palace, he asked his accountant to allocate a town to Jagan.
6. As mentioned in the passage, the Arabs visited Vijaypur with his Camel because–
a. he wanted to make King Roya jealous of his pot.
b. It was his only mode of commute
c. he wanted to gift it to King Roya
(A) Only a (B) Both a and b (C) Only b (D) Only c (E) Not clearly mentioned in the story (Ans : E)
7. Which of the following is most nearly the opposite in meaning of the word 'Appreciation' as used in the story ?
(A) Criticism (B) Debt (C) Tribute (D) Carelessness (E) Refusal (Ans : A)
8. Which of the following can be a suitable title for the study?
(A) The Ugly Camel of Vijaypur (B) The Forgetful Arab (C) The Arab and His Ideas
(D) Witty Jagan (E) Jagan and His Wealth (Ans : D)
9. Which of the following is most nearly the same in meaning of the word 'Token' as used in the story ?
(A) Symptom (B) Clue (C) Symbol (D) Sample (E) Volume (Ans : C)
10. Which of the following 'statements is True in the context of the story?
(A) The residents of Vijaypur were fond of Camels. (B) The, King did not think that Camel was a beautiful animal.
(C) The Arab came alone so that he could enjoy the beauty of Vijaypur. (D) The Arab was King Roya's best friend who came to meet him after a long time.
(E) None of the given statements is true. (Ans : B)
11. Which of the following is most nearly the same in meaning of the word 'Allocate' as used in the story ?
(A) Allow (B) Assign (C) Withhold (D) Nominate (E) Assemble (Ans : B)
12. As mentioned in the story, the King of Vijaypur was impressed with which of the following qualities of Jagan ?
(A) His charming personality. (B) His willingness to think about the welfare of everyone. (C) His ability to think and act quickly.
(D) His love for animals. (E) His faith in God. (Ans : C)
13. Which of the following is most nearly the opposite in meaning of the word 'Amused' as used in the story?
(A) Delighted (B) Confused (C) Annoyed (D) Affected (E) Dishonoured (Ans : C)
14. As mentioned in the story, King Roya can be described as.
(A) forgetful and miserly (B) a King who believed in reincarnation (C) a cruel king who always seized people's camels
(D) somebody who was disliked by everyone in the town (E) a just king who stood by his words (Ans : E)
15. As mentioned in the passage, Jagan narrated the story of the Camel to King Roya because.
(A) he wanted King Roya to fulfill his forgotten promise (B) King Roya enjoyed listening to stories
(C) King Roya was planning to purchase the Camel from the Arab, so he wished to gain more knowledge on the animal
(D) It was a special Camel with magical powers (E) Other than those given as options (Ans : A)
Directions-(Q. 16-20) In each question below a sentence with four words printed in bold type is given. These are lettered (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E). One of these four words printed in bold may be either wrongly spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentence. Find out the word, which is wrongly spelt or inappropriate if any. If all the words printed in bold are correctly spelt and also appropriate in the context of the sentence, mark (E) i. e., All correct, as your answer.
16. The tiny toffee was priced at two scents and was very expensive for the little boy.
(A) toffee (B) priced (C) scents (D) expensive (E) All correct (Ans : C)
17. Her talent in music came to four in the event that was organized by the committee.
(A) talent (B) four (C) organized (D) committee (E) All correct (Ans : B)
18. The man was relieved to know that his interview had been posponed to a future date.
(A) relieved (B) interview (C) posponed (D) future (E) All correct (Ans : C)
19. The pilot esclaimed, 'You need to prepare for landing in two minutes.'
(A) pilot (B) esclaimed (C) prepare (D) landing (E) All correct (Ans : B)
20. On two consecutive nights the two greatest icones of show business were honored with unprecedented affection.
(A) consecutive (B) icones (C) honored (D) unprecedented (E) All correct (Ans : B)
Directions-(Q. 21-25) Rearrange the given six sentences (a), (b), (c), (d) (e) and (f) in a proper sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the given questions.
(a) And lo ! The wooden vessel was transformed into a silver one and was full again.
(b) One day her mother fall ill and since there was no water in the house, the little girl went out to fetch some water for her mother.
(c) The girl reached home and after drinking water her mother quickly regained her health and became strong again, the vessel was filled with gold and they spent their days in comfort.
(d) As she was walking home she met a stranger dying of thrust.
(e) A poor little girl lived with her mother in a small cottage in the woods.
(f) Though there was very little water in the vessel she poured some into his mouth.
21. Which of the following should be the third sentence after rearrangement ?
(A) a (B) b (C) c (D) d (E) f (Ans : D)
22. Which of the following should be the first sentence after rearrangement ?
(A) a (B) b (C) c (D) d (E) e (Ans : E)
23. Which of the following should be the Second sentence after rearrangement ?
(A) a (B) b (C) c (D) d (E) e (Ans : B)
24. Which of the following should be the fifth sentence after rearrangement ?
(A) a (B) c (C) d (D) e (E) f (Ans : A)
25. Which of the following should be the Sixth (last) sentence after rearrangement ?
(A) a (B) b (C) c (D) d (E) f (Ans : C)
Directions-(Q. 26-30) Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error in it. The error if any, will be one part of the sentence. The letter of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is (E). i. e., 'No error' (Ignore the errors of punctuation, if any).
26. Though the country/has abundant coal reserves/it has been imported coal/at a high cost.
(A) Though the country (B) has abundant coal reserves (C) it has been imported coal (D) at a high cost (E) No error (Ans : C)
27. Financial institutions are hiring/and training relationship managers/to innovatively sell/ products to customers.
(A) Financial institutions are hiring (B) and training relationship managers (C) to innovatively sell
(D) products to customers (E) No error (Ans : C)
28. An incident when my youth taught/me to stand up and/do what is right even if/others do not agree with me.
(A) An incident when my youth taught (B) me to stand up and (C) do what is right even if
(D) others do not agree with me (E) No error (Ans : A)
29. As I had learnt/Sanskrit in school,/I could understood/many Indian languages.
(A) As I had learnt (B) Sanskrit in school (C) I could understood (D) many Indian languages (E) No error (Ans : C)
30. The insurance industry in/India is underwent/ many changes in/the past few years.
(A) The insurance industry in (B) India is underwent (C) many changes in (D) the past few years (E) No error (Ans : B)
Directions - (Q. 31-40) In the following passage, there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. Against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.
A man has a little dog and he was very …(31)… of it. He would pat its head, and take it on his knee, and talk to it. He would also give it little …(32)… of food from his own plate.
One day, a donkey looked in …(33)… the window and saw the man and the dog. "Why does he not make a pet of me ?" thought the donkey. "It is not fair, I work hard and the dog only wags its tail, and barks, and …(34)… onto its master's knee. " Then the donkey said to itself, "If I do what the dog does, he …(35)… make a pet of me. "
So, the donkey ran into the room, it …(36)… loudly as it could. It wagged its tail so hard that it …(37)… over a jar on the table. Then it tried to climb onto its master's knee. The master thought the donkey was …(38)… and shouted, "Help! Help !" Men came running in with sticks and …(39)… it back to the field. "
I only did what the does, "said the donkey," and …(40)… make a pet of the dog and they beat me with sticks. It is not fair. "
31. (A) fond (B) liked (C) loved (D) attached (E) curious (Ans : A)
32. (A) much (B) tops (C) cut (D) bits (E) morsel (Ans : E)
33. (A) for (B) at (C) through (D) forward (E) so (Ans : C)
34. (A) break (B) sit (C) tears (D) jumps (E) lifts (Ans : D)
35. (A) probably (B) now (C) too (D) may (E) definitely (Ans : D)
36. (A) danced (B) brayed (C) mewed (D) left (E) bumped (Ans : B)
37. (A) drop (B) pull (C) dragged (D) picked (E) knocked (Ans : E)
38. (A) mad (B) lovely (C) dog (D) hungry (E) famous (Ans : A)
39. (A) beats (B) out (C) away (D) send (E) drove (Ans : E)
40. (A) yet (B) so (C) thus (D) because (E) though (Ans : A)