Uttar Pradesh PCS Judicial Services (Pre) Exam, 2015 (Held on 6-9-2015)
General Knowledge Solved Paper1. Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute is located at–
(A) Goa (B) Kochi (C) Vishakhapatnam (D) Puri (Ans : B)
2. The Coromandal Coast is located in the State of–
(A) Kerala (B) Maharashtra (C) Tamil Nadu (D) Gujarat (Ans : C)
3. Arrange the following events in chronological order, using the codes given below–
1. Abolition of Jazia 2. Abolition of Pilgrimage Tax
3. Construction of Ibadat Khana 4. Foundation of Din-i-Ilahi'
(A) 1, 2, 4, 3 (B) 2, 1, 3, 4
(C) 3, 4, 2, 1 (D) 1, 3, 4, 2 (Ans : B)
4. Which of the following emperors was known as 'Shah-i-Bekhabar'?
(A) Humayun (B) Jahangir (C) Bahadurshah-I (D) Farrukhsiyar (Ans : C)
5. Which of the following emperors had the highest number of Hindu generals in the army?
(A) Babar (B) Akbar (C) Jahangir (D) Aurangzeb (Ans : D)
6. 'Rajm Nama' is the Persian translation of–
(A) Arthashastra (B) Ramayan (C) Mahabharata (D) Upanishada (Ans : C)
7. Maluk Das was a saint-poet residing at–
(A) Agra (B) Ayodhya (C) Kashi (D) Kara (Ans : D)
8. Which of the following Rajput houses was the first to establish matrimonial relation with emperor Akbar?
(A) Rathore (B) Kachwaha (C) Chauhan (D) Sisodiya (Ans : B)
9. Musical instrument 'Sitar' was invented by–
(A) Amir Khusro (B) Ramdas (C) Tansen (D) Haridas (Ans : A)
10. Which Sufi Saint remarked 'Hanooj Dilli Dur Ast' (Delhi is still far away) ?
(A) Nasiruddin Chirag-i-Delhi (B) Nizamuddin Aulia
(C) Shaikh Bakhtiyar Kaki (D) Baba Farid (Ans : B)
11. 'Bijak' is a collection of the sayings of–
(A) Baba Farid (B) Ramanand (C) Guru Nanak (D) Kabir (Ans : D)
12. Panchayati Raj is a system of–
(A) Local government (B) Local administration
(C) Local self-government (D) Rural local self government (Ans : D)
13. Which one of the following is a member of 'ASEAN' ? (Association of South East Asian Nations) formed in 1967?
(A) Thailand (B) Australia (C) New Zealand (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
14. The Indian foreign policy was formulated by–
(A) Mrs. Indira Gandhi (B) Lal Bahadur Shastri
(C) Morarji Desai (D) Jawaharlal Nehru (Ans : D)
15. After K-2, which of the following is second highest mountain peak in India?
(A) Kamet (B) Nandadevi (C) Kanchenjunga (D) Shudu Thempa (Ans : C)
16. Which of the following is not correctly matched?
(States) - (Major Hydel-Power Station)
(A) Gujarat - Tawa
(B) Rajasthan - Jawhar Sagar
(C) West Bengal - Panchet Hill
(D) Madhya Pradesh - Khopoli (Ans : D)
17. Which one of the following tribes belongs to Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand ?
(A) Itnar (B) Tharu (C) Bhil (D) Munda (Ans : B)
18. Badrinath is located in–
(A) Kumaun Himalaya (B) Central Himalaya (C) Himadri (D) Trans-Himalaya (Ans : A)
19. Who among the following pre-pared a scientific classification of forests?
(A) H. G. Champion (B) K. V. Sundaram (C) B. L. Sukhwal (D) L. D. Stamp (Ans : A)
20. The eastern most place of India is located in the State of–
(A) Mizoram (B) Meghalaya (C) Arunachal Pradesh (D) Nagaland (Ans : C)
21. 'Kevti' Waterfall is located in which of the following districts?
(A) Rewa (B) Rohtas (C) Ranchi (D) Jabalpur (Ans : A)
22. Largest bauxite producing State in India (2014) is–
(A) Jharkhand (B) Rajasthan (C) Odisha (D) Tamil Nadu (Ans : C)
23. The 'Wage good strategy' of development was formulated by–
(A) Amartya Sen (B) C. Vakil (C) P. C. Mahalanobis (D) J. Bhagwati (Ans : B)
24. Who among the following represented India in the International Yoga Day Celebrations held in New York on 21st June, 2015 ?
(A) Uma Bharati (B) Sumitra Mahajan (C) Sushma Swaraj (D) Vasundhara Raje (Ans : C)
25. Consider the statements–
Assertion (A) : The State Election Commission is appointed by the State Government.
Reason (R) : It has the responsibility of holding elections to the Panchayati Raj institutions. Select the correct answer using the codes given below–
(A) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A)
(B) Both (A) and (R) are true, but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A)
(C) (A) is true, but (R) is false
(D) (A) is false, but (R) is true (Ans : D)
26. How many Nations had signed the Charter of United Nations on 26th June, 1945 ?
(A) 64 (B) 61 (C) 52 (D) 51 (Ans : D)
27. How many women members were there in the Indian Constituent Assembly?
(A) 10 (B) 12 (C) 13 (D) 15 (Ans : D)
28. To whom among the following did Buddha preach his last sermon?
(A) Subhadda (B) Anand (C) Yash (D) Gautami (Ans : A)
29. From which site of prehistoric age, evidence of cremating pet-dog with man has been found?
(A) Koldihawa (B) Panchoh (C) Burzhome (D) Gufkaral (Ans : C)
30. Which of the Indian States had diarchy system of government at the time of Alexander's invasion?
(A) Patal (B) Fegela (C) Gandaris (D) Siboi (Ans : A)
31. Whose relics are preserved in the Second Stupa at Sanchi ?
(A) Missionaries of Ashokan age (B) Lord Buddha
(C) Sariputra (D) Mahamodglyeyan (Ans : A)
32. Which temple of North India has its Shikhar (spire) in Dravid style?
(A) Bhitargaon (B) Deogarh (C) Sas-Bahu temple (D) Teli temple at Gwalior (Ans : D)
33. The first excavated Indus site after independence of India is–
(A) Ropar (B) Kalibangan (C) Banavali (D) Lothal (Ans : A)
34. Which is the port city of Indus Valley culture?
(A) Mohenjodaro (B) Harappa (C) Kalibanga (D) Lothal (Ans : D)
35. How many slokas are present in Rajtarangini of Kalhana ?
(A) Eight thousand (B) Nine thousand (C) Ten thousand (D) Eleven thousand (Ans : A)
36. Which of the following tribes does not belong to the Panchjana of Rigveda ?
(A) Yadu (B) Puru (C) Turvasa (D) Kikat (Ans : D)
37. Which of the following inscriptions mentions Vedic Gods?
(A) Mansehra (B) Shahbajgarhi (C) Boghazkoi (D) Junagarh (Ans : C)
38. King Kharvela of Kalinga belonged to which dynasty ?
(A) Chedi (B) Kadamba (C) Haryanka (D) Kalinga (Ans : A)
39. Which one of the following is the name of the Book written by Magasthnase ?
(A) Deep Vansh (B) Kapur Manjan (C) Geography (D) Indica (Ans : D)
40. Who is regarded as the father of Indian pre-history?
(A) Cunnigham (B) Bruce Froot (C) Marshall (D) William King (Ans : B)
41. Who among the following called himself 'The Parrot of India' ?
(A) Malik Muhammad Jaisi (B) Raskhan (C) Amir Khusrau (D) Amir Hasan (Ans : C)
42. Who among the following built the 'Qutub Minar' ?
(A) Qutubuddin Aibak (B) Iltutmish (C) Firozshah Tughlaq (D) All the above (Ans : D)
43. At which of the following places Jawaharlal Nehru unfurled the tricolour in 1930 ?
(A) Allahabad (B) Delhi (C) Lahore (D) Lucknow (Ans : C)
44. Who was the great force behind the foundation of the first Indian Women's University in Bombay in 1906?
(A) Dadabhai Naoroji (B) D. K. Karve (C) S. S. Bangali (D) V. M. Malabari (Ans : B)
45. The largest ocean of the world is–
(A) Arctic Ocean (B) Indian Ocean (C) Atlantic Ocean (D) Pacific Ocean (Ans : D)
46. The largest Mica producing State in India is–
(A) Jharkhand (B) Andhra Pradesh (C) Madhya Pradesh (D) Rajasthan (Ans : A)
47. Which one of the following is the longest river in India?
(A) Godavari (B) Narmada (C) Krishna (D) Yamuna (Ans : A)
48. Which one of the following country has the highest percentage of its geographical area under forests?
(A) China (B) Australia (C) India (D) United Kingdom (Ans : C)
49. Chandra Prabha National Park is located in–
(A) Varanasi (B) Kanpur (C) Jaunpur (D) Saharanpur (Ans : A)
50. Disaster Management Act was enacted in India, in the year–
(A) 2001 (B) 2003 (C) 2005 (D) 2012 (Ans : C)
51. The National Capital Region Planning Board was set up in India in the year–
(A) 1980 (B) 1982 (C) 1985 (D) 1995 (Ans : C)
52. Which of the following tribes belongs to Nilgiri hills ?
(A) Maria (B) Asur (C) Badga (D) Saharia (Ans : C)
53. The Patkai hills separate India from–
(A) China (B) Myanmar (C) Pakistan (D) Bangladesh (Ans : B)
54. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists-
(a) Sugar (b) Paper (c) Cement (d) Iron & Steel
1. Dalmia Dadari 2. Dhampur 3. Chandra pur 4. Bokaro
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 2 1 3 4
(B) 2 3 1 4
(C) 3 2 1 4
(D) 1 2 3 4(Ans : B)
55. As per Census 2011 of India, which of the following States has lowest per cent of urban population?
(A) Tripura (B) Sikkim (C) Bihar (D) Himachal Pradesh (Ans : D)
56. Which of the following Constitutional (Amendment) Acts provided for the appointment of the same person as Governor for two or more States?
(A) Fourth (Amendment) Act (B) Seventh (Amendment) Act
(C) Eleventh (Amendment) Act (D) Twenty Fourth Amendment) Act (Ans : B)
57. The basic - structure theory of the Constitution of India implies that–
(A) Fundamental Rights cannot be abridged or taken away.
(B) The Constitution can not be amended except in accordance with the procedure prescribed in Art-368
(C) The Preamble of the Constitution cannot be amended for it is not a part of the Constitution and at the same time it represents real spirit of Constitution
(D) Certain features of the Constitution are so essential to it that they can not be amended (Ans : D)
58. Who among the following has termed Indian Federalism as "Cooperative Federalism" ?
(A) K. C. Wheare (B) Morris Jones (C) Granville Austin (D) Jennings (Ans : C)
59. Which one of the following statements regarding 'Exit Poll' is correct ?
(A) 'Exit-Poll' is a term used to denote a post-election survey of voters regarding the candidate in whose favour they had exercised their franchiese
(B) 'Exit-Poll' and 'Opinion-Poll' are one and the same
(C) 'Exit-Poll' is a device through which results of voting can be most exactly predicted
(D) 'Exit-Poll' is an administrative device made by the Chief Election Commissioner to prevent impersonation (Ans : A)
60. Which of the following models of bureaucracy exists in India today?
(A) Committed bureaucracy (B) Fully politicised bureaucracy
(C) Semi-politicised bureaucracy (D) Depoliticised bureaucracy (Ans : C)
61. According to the Balwant Rai Mehta Committee, the District collector should be–
(A) kept out of the Zila Parishad (B) a non-voting member of the Zila Parishad
(C) a member of the Zila Parishad with the right to vote (D) the Chairman of the Zila Parishad (Ans : D)
62. Which of the following is not a source of revenue for the village panchayats ?
(A) Tax on agricultural income (B) Tax on property, animals and vehicles
(C) Voluntary donations (D) Grants from the State Government (Ans : A)
63. Panchayati Raj form of rural local government was adopted first (in the order) by–
(A) Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh (B) Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal
(C) Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh (D) Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh (Ans : C)
64. In India, Central Vigilance Commission was set-up on the recommendation of–
(A) Administrative Reforms Commission of India (B) Gorwala Reprot
(C) Kripalani Committee (D) Santhanam Committee (Ans : D)
65. Which one of the following High Courts had the Territorial-Jurisdiction over' Andaman and Nicobar' Islands?
(A) Andhra Pradesh (B) Calcutta (C) Madras (D) Orissa (Ans : B)
66. The primary function of the Finance Commission in India is to–
(A) distribute revenue between the Centre and the States
(B) prepare the Annual Budget
(C) advice the President on financial matters
(D) allocate funds to various ministries of the Union and State Governments (Ans : A)
67. The ultimate responsibility of taking due action on the comments of the Comptroller and Auditor General vests with–
(A) Supreme Court (B) Parliament (C) President of India (D) National Development Council (Ans : B)
68. Which of the following statements is / are correct with regard to Indian Audit?
(A) Indian Audit is primarily a legality audit (B) Indian Audit is governed not by law but by an executive order
(C) The Audit is mostly limited to the expenditure side only (D) All the three above (Ans : D)
69. Which one of the following recommended the creation of the office of 'Lokpal' ?
(A) National Police Commission (B) States Reorganization Commission
(C) Administrative Reform Commission (D) Inter-State Council (Ans : C)
70. The Judges of the International Court of Justice are elected by the–
(A) U.N. General Assembly only (B) U.N. Security Council only
(C) U.N. General Assembly and U.N. Security Council both (D) Economic and Social Council (Ans : C)
71. 'Optional Clause' which defines the compulsory jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice, originates from which one of the following Articles of the Statute of the International Court of Justice?
(A) Article - 34 (B) Article - 35 (C) Article - 36 (D) Article - 40 (Ans : C)
72. The historic Land Boundary Agreement between India and Bangladesh in which the two countries agreed to transfer the enclaves to each others sovereignty was concluded in–
(A) 1972 (B) 1973 (C) 1974 (D) 1975 (Ans : C)
73. The number of 'SAARC' (South Asian Association of Regional Co-operation) countries is–
(A) 7 (B) 8 (C) 9 (D) 10 (Ans : B)
74. The words 'Socialist' and 'Secular' were added to the Preamble of Constitution of India by–
(A) 41st Amendment (B) 42nd Amendment
(C) 44th Amendment (D) 46th Amendment (Ans : B)
75. Which Article of the Constitution of India provides that it shall be the endeavour of every State to provide adequate facility for instruction in the mother-tongue at the primary stage of Education?
(A) Article 349 (B) Article 350 (C) Article 350-A (D) Article 351 (Ans : C)