CTET Child Development and Pedagogy Syllabus(A) Child Development (Elementary School Child)
– Concept of development and its relationship with learning
– Principles of the development of children
– Influence of Heredity and Environment
– Socialization processes: Social world and children (Teacher, Parents, Peers)
– Piaget, Kohlberg and Vygotsky: constructs and critical perspectives
– Concepts of child-centered and progressive education
– Critical perspective of the construct of Intelligence
– Multi-Dimensional Intelligence
– Language and Thought
– Gender as a social construct; gender roles, gender-bias and educational practice
– Individual differences among learners, understanding differences based on diversity of language, caste, gender, community, religion etc.
– Distinction between Assessment for learning and assessment of learning; School-Based Assessment, Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation: perspective and practice
– Formulating appropriate questions for assessing readiness levels of learners; for enhancing learning and critical thinking in the classroom and for assessing learner achievement.
(b) Concept of Inclusive education and understanding children with special needs
– Addressing learners from diverse backgrounds including disadvantaged and deprived
– Addressing the needs of children with learning difficulties, ‘impairment’ etc.
– Addressing the Talented, Creative, Specially abled Learners
(c) Learning and Pedagogy
– How children think and learn; how and why children ‘fail’ to achieve success in school performance.
– Basic processes of teaching and learning; children’s strategies of learning; learning as a social activity; social context of learning.
– Child as a problem solver and a ‘scientific investigator’
– Alternative conceptions of learning in children, understanding children’s ‘errors’ as significant steps in the learning process.
– Cognition and Emotions
– Motivation and learning
– Factors contributing to learning – personal and environmental