100 Public Administration Question Bank1. Who was responsible for encouraging the Local Self-government in India?
(a) Lord Mayo (b) Lord Lytton (c) Lord Canning (d) Lord Rippon (Ans : d)
2. Who conceived the concept of Gram Swaraj?
(a) Jayaprakash Narian (b) Acharya Vinobha Bhave
(c) Mahatma Gandhi (d) Swami Dayanand (Ans : c)
3. Which of the following articles of the Indian Constitution provides security to the office of the collector?
(a) Article 123 (b) Article 301 (c) Article 311 (d) Article 352 (Ans : c)
4. Which committee has recommended creation of a separate office to relive district collector of development responsibilities?
(a) Balwant Raj Mehta Committee (b) Ashok Mehta Committee
(c) Raj Mannar Committee (d) Sarkaria Commission (Ans : b)
5. Which one of the following does not form a part of Swarna Jayanti Village Self-Employment Scheme?
(a) Lifting up the families living below the poverty line as the rain (b) Rural individual poor as the focus
(c) Prior identification and selection of activities (d) Implementation in the same manner as a project (Ans : b)
6. Which one of the following is a form of urban governance found in India?
(a) Council Mayor (b) Commissionary
(c) Mayor-in-Council (d) Council-Manager (Ans : b)
7. Which of the following is not directly elected by the people?
(a) Gram Pradhan (b) Members of Panchayat Samiti
(c) Chairman of Zila Parishad (d) Members of Zila Parishad (Ans : c)
8. In which part of the Indian Constitution, has the provision for panchayats been made?
(a) IX (b) IV (c) III (d) IX A (Ans : a)
9. In which one of the following states, is provision relating to reservation for Scheduled Castes in panchayats under 73rd Constitutional Amendment not applicable?
(a) Nagaland (b) Mizoram (c) Meghalaya (d) Arunachal Pradesh (Ans : d)
10. Which of the following committee recommended for integration of union, state and local finances?
(a) Taxation enquiry commission (b) Local finance enquiry commission
(c) Rural-urban relationship committee (d) Singhvi committee (Ans : d)
11. In which of the following schedules of the constitution of India is urban local self government-mentional?
(a) Seventh (b) Eighth (c) Eleventh (d) Twelth (Ans : d)
12. Which of the following conducts elections of the urban and rural local bodies in India?
(a) Election commission of India (b) Chief election commissioner
(c) State election commission (d) Chief election officer of the state (Ans : c)
13. Which is the smaller unit of local government in England?
(a) County Borough (b) Borough (c) Parish (d) Urban district (Ans : c)
14. Which one of the following is not a function of the District Collector?
(a) Collection of revenue (b) Realisation of taqavi laons
(c) Hearing of cases in Nayaya Panchayats (d) Maintenance of land records (Ans : c)
15. Which of the following officers of the Agricultural Departments is/are most Prominently associated with the formulation of policy at the State level?
(a) The Director of Agriculture
(b) The Secretary of the Department concerned
(c) Both the Secretary and the Director of Agriculture
(d) Directors, Joint Directors and District Officers of Agriculture (Ans : c)
16. Which one of the following is not explicitly or implicitly provided for in the Constitution of India?
(a) A minister of State may have the independent charge of a ministry
(b) Civil servants have to observe the principle of political neutrality
(c) There are a number of all India services
(d) The Union may direct a State to maintain a road of national importance (Ans : a)
17. Which one of the following is not a function of the Directorate?
(a) Formulation of the budget of the department (b) Inspection of the execution of work by the field officers
(c) Rendering of technical advice to the minister/secretary (d) Co-ordination of inter-departmental functions (Ans : d)
18. Which one amount the following is not function of the State Secretariat?
(a) To assist the Minister in the formulation of policy
(b) To act as a channel of communication between one Government and another
(c) To prepare drafts of legislation to be introduced in the Assembly
(d) To assist the legislature in its secretariat work (Ans : d)
19. In which one of the following districts has the ‘Files to Field’ programme been introduced?
(a) Sirmour (H.P.) (b) Ahmedabad (Gujarat)
(c) Ahmednagar (Maharashtra) (d) Sambalpur (Orissa) (Ans : c)
20. Which one of the following is not a function of Deputy Commissioner/District Collector?
(a) Maintenance of law and order (b) Survey and Settlement
(c) Trail of cases under IPC (d) Enforcing provision of Cr.P.C. (Ans : c)
21. Which one of the following statements about the duties and responsibilities of the District Collector holds good in every State?
(a) The State Government is represented by him at the district level
(b) Upward reporting by departmental officers is done through him
(c) Handling of crisis situations is passed on by him to departmental officers
(d) He is the hub of all development activities (Ans : a)
22. The collector performs many functions. Which of the following is not of them?
(a) Collection of revenue
(b) Maintenance of law and order
(c) Direction and coordination of development programmes
(d) Advising Union Government in framing public policies (Ans : d)
23. Who appoints the Governor of a State?
(a) Prime Minister (b) President
(c) Home Minister (d) Central Cabinet (Ans : b)
24. Who is the head of the entire Civil Services of the State?
(a) Joint Secretary (b) Special Secretary
(c) Chief Secretary (d) Home Secretary (Ans : c)
25. Which of the following Departments in a State is headed by a Director?
(a) Sales Tax (b) Civil Supply (c) Police (d) Education (Ans : d)
26. Who is head of the entire Civil Services of the State?
(a) Under Secretary (b) Joint Secretary (c) Chief Secretary (d) Chairman, Revenue Board (Ans : c)
27. The collector has varied functions. Which of the following is not one of them?
(a) Maintenance of law and order (b) Collection of revenue
(c) Direction and fulfillment of development plans
(d) Propagation of policies and programmes of Union Government (Ans : d)
28. Which of the following State Governors does not have the responsivility to ensure that there is a Minister-in-charge of Trible welfare in the State Government?
(a) Bihar (b) Madhya Pradesh (c) Punjab (d) Orisa (Ans : c)
29. Who among the following is a Constitutional authority for whose removal from office by the President a reference to the Supreme Court in necessary?
(a) Chairman and Member of the Union Public Service Commission (b) Judge of the Supreme Court
(c) Comtroller and Auditor-General (d) The Chief Election Commissioner (Ans : a)
30. Which one of the following is a Central Service?
(a) Educational Service (b) Agricultural Service
(c) Overseas Communication Service (d) Co-operative Service (Ans : c)
31. Which one of the following is not an objective of Whitley Councils?
(a) Ventilation of grievances through discussions
(b) Providing a forum for securing co-operation between State and civil servants
(c) Proposing legislation on issue relating to civil servants vis-à-vis their employment
(d) Hearing petitions filed by individual civil servants (Ans : d)
32. Which one of the following countries does not have a Civil Services Commission charged with the responsibility for recruitment of the higher civil service?
(a) Canada (b) USA (c) Britain (d) France (Ans : b)
33. Which of the following is the function of Union Public Service Commission?
(a) Appointing civil servants to various positions in Government Departments
(b) Training of All-India Services
(c) Advising Government regarding recruitment, promotion and disciplinary cases of higher civil services in central government
(d) Transfer of Central Services Officers (Ans : c)
34. In which year was Central Secretariat Service organized?
(a) 1947 (b) 1950 (c) 1951 (d) 1964 (Ans : c)
35. Which of the following is the principal problem of Personnel Administration?
(a) Recruitment (b) Selection and certification for appointment
(c) promotion (d) All of the above (Ans : d)
36. Which Article of the Constitution provides protection to civil servants?
(a) Article 308 (b) Article 309 (c) Article 310 (d) Article 311 (Ans : d)
37. Which was the first All-India Service created on the basis of Macaulay Report?
(a) Indian Civil Service (b) Indian Police Service
(c) Indian Medical Service (d) Indian Education Service (Ans : a)
38. Who controls All India Services?
(a) Government of India (b) State Government
(c) Union and State Government (d) President of India (Ans : d)
39. In which year the UPSC permitted candidates to write their answers in Hindi and regional languages?
(a) 1949 (b) 1959 (c) 1969 (d) 1979 (Ans : d)
40. Which of the following is not the duty of UPSC?
(a) To conduct examinations for a appointment of Public Service
(b) To advice Government of disciplinary matters
(c) To present as annual report to President of India
(d) To suggest posting and transfer of secretaries and joint secretaries (Ans : d)
41. Who among the following advocated the need for psychological tests in recruitments of the civil services in India?
(a) Paul Appleby (b) A.D. Gorwala (c) Harry W. Blair (d) V. Subramaniam (Ans : b)
42. Which among the following is empowered to create more All-India Services?
(a) Rajya Sabha (b) Union Parliament (c) Lok Sabha (d) Union Cabinet (Ans : b)
43. Which one of the following Commissions recommended functional specialization in the Indian Administrative Service?
(a) Expenditure Reforms Commission (b) Administrative Reforms Commission
(c) IVth Central Pay Commission (d) Vth Central pay Commission (Ans : b)
44. Which one of the following reports deals with the relations between the specialists and generalists?
(a) Haldane Committee Report (b) Santhanam Committee Report
(c) Fulton Committee Report (d) Kothari Commission Report (Ans : c)
45. Which one of the following agencies is responsible for both recruitment and training of civil servants for the administrative class?
(a) Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, USA (b) Ecole National d’Administration, France
(c) Civil Service College, UK (d) Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, India (Ans : b)
46. Which one of the following is not a British legacy to the Central Administration in India?
(a) Deputation System in Public Service (b) Committee System
(c) Conduct of general elections by the Election Commission (d) Merit selection by Public Service Commissions (Ans : c)
47. Which one of the following is not a department in the Ministry of Finance, Government of India?
(a) Department of Economic Affairs (b) Department of Expenditure
(c) Board of Direct Taxes (d) Department of Company Affairs (Ans : c)
48. Which one of the undermentioned cases has affected the power of the Indian parliament?
(a) Sajjan Singh vs. State of Rajasthan (b) Keshwanand Bharti vs. State of Kerala
(c) Shankari Prasad vs. Union of India (d) Golak Nath vs. State of Punjab (Ans : d)
49. Which one of the following is not a pattern of management of Public Enterprises in India?
(a) Department (b) Public Corporation (c) Joint Company (d) Operating Contract (Ans : d)
50. Which one of the following is not a characteristic of Indian administration?
(a) Uniformity (b) Decentralisation (c) Dyarchy (d) Independent Judiciary (Ans : c)