Railway Recruitment Cell (Gorakhpur) Group ‘D’ (First Shift) Exam., 2014
Solved General Knowledge Questions (Held on 2-11-2014 )1. Which of the following made Delhi a capital for the first time?
(A) Tomara Rajputs (B) Chauhans
(C) Gahadwalas (D) Pallavas (Ans : A)
2. Who became the Prime Minister of India after the assassination of Indira Gandhi?
(A) Rajiv Gandhi (B) P. V. Narsimha Rao
(C) Morarji Desai (D) Chaudhary Charan Singh (Ans : A)
3. Which of the following Mughal emperors defeated the Sultan of Delhi, Ibrahim Lodhi ?
(A) Akbar (B) Babur (C) Humayun (D) Aurangzeb (Ans : B)
4. Who was a ‘Mansabdar’ under the Mughal rule?
(A) An Islamic priest (B) An attendant to the emperor
(C) An administrative official of the empire (D) The carrier of letters and messages (Ans : C)
5. Who was the guru of Mira Bai ?
(A) Chaitanya Mahaprabhu (B) Sant Ravidas
(C) Surdas (D) Ramananda (Ans : B)
6. Odissi is a classical dance form of–
(A) Odisha (B) Kerala
(C) Tamil Nadu (D) Andhra Pradesh (Ans : A)
7. To which religion is the word ‘lama’ associated?
(A) Sikhism (B) Jainism
(C) Buddhism (D) Hinduism (Ans : C)
8. Which of the following was the main reason of defeat of Nawab Sirajuddaula at the battle of Plassey?
(A) His army was not well equipped
(B) The English were better fighters
(C) One of his Commanders, Mir Zafar did not fight
(D) The English soldiers out numbered that of Nawab (Ans : C)
9. In 1922 the British implemented a new system of tax collection in Awadh. The revenue of a ‘Mahal’ was fixed by survey and one person was made responsible to pay the tax for the entire ‘Mahal’. What was the ‘Mahal’ ?
(A) A village (B) A paragana
(C) A district (D) A province (Ans : A)
10. What was the aim of Munda uprising?
(A) To oust the British
(B) To oust the zamindars
(C) To oust the banias
(D) To oust all outsiders and to establish Munda Raj (Ans : D)
11. When were the powers of East India Company to administer India transferred to British Crown?
(A) Just before the rebellion of 1857
(B) In 1858 after the rebellion of 1857
(C) After the battle of Plassey
(D) In the year 1935 (Ans : B)
12. What was the impact on local cloth manufacturing industry of the trade with East India Company?
(A) It declined
(B) It flourished
(C) A particular type of the industry flourished while the other declined
(D) There was no impact (Ans : A)
13. A candidate appearing for a post in Central Government may opt to take examination in–
(A) English, Hindi or any of the scheduled languages
(B) English or Hindi only
(C) English, Hindi or any of the regional languages
(D) Any of the Indian or foreign languages (Ans : A)
14. Where is Swat valiey situated?
(A) South India (B) Bangladesh (C) Pakistan (D) Myanmar (Ans : C)
15. What is Ebola ?
(A) A computer software
(B) A computer virus
(C) A deadly virus affecting human beings
(D) A deadly virus affecting domestic cattle (Ans : C)
16. Out of which state has the Telangana state been carved out?
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Karnataka (C) Kerala (D) Andhra Pradesh (Ans : D)
17. What is kaliari ?
(A) A form of painting (B) A vocal music form
(C) A martial art (D) An ancient literature (Ans : C)
18. The electricity measuring instruments installed in our houses, commonly known as Meter is basically–
(A) Ammeter (B) Volt meter (C) Energy meter (D) Potential meter (Ans : C)
19. If Kerala = 6, Karnataka = 9, Uttar Pradesh = 12, what is Uttara-khand equal to ?
(A) 16 (B) 15 (C) 11 (D) 10 (Ans : C)
20. The velocity of sound in air depends upon–
(A) Frequency of the sound (B) Wavelength of the sound
(C) Density of the air (D) Intensity of the sound (Ans : C)
21. What is photosynthesis?
(A) The synthesis of images using multimedia
(B) Quick succession of images to make the moving images
(C) Process of food formation by plants
(D) The process of creating fake photographs (Ans : C)
22. Which of the following is known as Vitamin C ?
(A) Citric acid (B) Acetic acid (C) Lactic acid (D) Ascorbic acid (Ans : D)
23. In what manner does the heat from the Sun reach us ?
(A) By conduction (B) By convection
(C) By radiation (D) By all the three methods (Ans : C)
24. Which of the following states is the largest producer of manganese in India?
(A) Bihar (B) Jharkhand
(B) West Bengal (D) Odisha (Ans : D)
25. Hazira-Jagdishpur pipe line is used for transportation of–
(A) Gas (B) Coal dust mixed in water
(C) Petroleum (D) Water (Ans : A)
26. What is the relation between the Indian Standard Time (IST) and the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) ?
(A) IST is 5½ hours ahead of GMT (B) GMT is 5½ hours ahead of IST
(C) IST is 12 hours ahead of GMT (D) GMT is 12 hours ahead of IST (Ans : A)
27. To which part of the ancient super continent did India belong?
(A) Angaraland (B) Gondwanaland
(C) Great Grassland (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
28. Which of the following states have a common capital?
(A) Punjab and Haryana (B) Rajasthan and Haryana
(C) Punjab and Rajasthan (D) Haryana and Himachal Pradesh (Ans : A)
29. The main mineral constituent of the earth’s crust which is below the oceans are–
(A) Silica and magnesium (B) Silica and alumina
(C) Nickel and manganese (D) Copper and iron (Ans : B)
30. Which of the following countries has highest number of Medical Colleges?
(A) China (B) USA (C) India (D) Germany (Ans : C)
31. Which of the following Indian states has Gold mines?
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Karnataka
(C) Jharkhand (D) Chhattisgarh (Ans : B)
32. What is subsistence farming?
(A) Farming for earning cash using modern tools and fertilizers
(B) Farming based on monsoon
(C) Conventional farming to meet the needs of the farmer and his family
(D) Farming of crops by rotation (Ans : C)
33. In the very beginning the Vedas were in the following form–
(A) Memorized by the Rishis and transmitted to disciples word by word
(B) Written on stone tablets
(C) Written on the Bhoj-Patra
(D) Written on ordinary paper (Ans : A)
34. In the ancient times, a Vihara meant–
(A) A Buddhist monastery (B) The king’s palace
(C) The school of learning (D) Shelters for the army (Ans : A)
35. In whose reign the famous Kalinga war was fought?
(A) Kharvelas (B) Chalukyas (C) Pandyas (D) Cholas (Ans : *)
36. The famous play of Sanskrit, Abhigyan Shakuntalam depicts the story of Shakuntala and a king. What was the name of the king?
(A) Dushyanta (B) Pururava (C) Shantanu (D) Dilip (Ans : A)
37. To which dynasty did the famous king Prithvi Raj Chauhan belong?
(A) Pratihara (B) Chandela (C) Gahadwala (D) Chauhan (Ans : D)