Bihar SSC Graduate Level Preliminary Exam, 2014 (Held on 16-2-2015)
Solved General Knowledge Questions
1. The green pigment found in plants that perform photosynthesis is–
(A) Chlorophyll (B) Chloroplast (C) Chloroform (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
2. ‘Silent Valley’ is in–
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Goa (C) Jammu and Kashmir (D) Kerala (Ans : D)
3. On which river is Goa located?
(A) Narmada (B) Mandovi (C) Tapi (D) Pennar (Ans : B)
4. Xerophthalmia in human beings is caused due to deficiency of–
(A) Vitamin-K (B) Vitamin-D (C) Vitamin-A (D) Vitamin-C (Ans : C)
5. Protein-Energy Malnutrition causes–
(A) Marasmus (B) Rickets (C) Beri-beri (D) Pellagra (Ans : A)
6. At which of the following locations the value of ‘g’ is the largest?
(A) On top of Mount Everest (B) On top of Qutub Minar
(C) At a place on Equator (D) A camp site in Antarctica (Ans : D)
7. Malfunction of which organ causes diabetes?
(A) Liver (B) Pancreas (C) Kidney (D) Heart (Ans : B)
8. EBOLA is a–
(A) Virus (B) Bacteria (C) Protozoa (D) Fungi (Ans : A)
9. Goitre is caused due to deficiency of Iodine. It is prevalent in–
(A) Coastal areas (B) Hilly areas (C) Desert areas (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
10. Vitamin-A is mainly stored in–
(A) Lungs (B) Kidney (C) Breast (D) Liver (Ans : D)
11. Female Culex mosquito is vector of–
(A) Malaria (B) Filariasis (C) Ring-worm (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
12. Isobars are lines displaying areas of equal–
(A) humidity (B) temperature (C) rainfall (D) atmospheric pressure (Ans : D)
13. Which of the Rivers mentioned below flows into Rann of Kutchch?
(A) Sabarmati (B) Luni (C) Betwa (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
14. Thyroid gland is situated in our–
(A) liver (B) neck (C) arm-pits (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
15. What is the chemical name of the common salt?
(A) Calcium Carbonate (B) Sodium Carbonate
(C) Sodium Chloride (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
16. The colour of stars depends upon their–
(A) Temperature (B) Pressure
(C) Age (D) Distance from Solar System (Ans : A)
17. Dr. Norman E. Borlaug belonged to–
(A) Spain (B) Mexico (C) America (D) Austria (Ans : C)
18. Iodine test is used to detect–
(A) Cholesterol (B) Fat (C) Protein (D) Carbohydrate (Ans : D)
19. Which Article of Indian Constitution abolishes untouchability?
(A) Article-14 (B) Article-15 (C) Article-17 (D) Article-18 (Ans : C)
20. The chemical name of Plaster of Paris is–
(A) Calcium Chloride (B) Calcium Nitrate
(C) Calcium Sulphate Hydrate (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
21. Among the breeds of cows mentioned below which one is not indigenous?
(A) Holstein-Friesian (B) Gir (C) Red-Sindhi (D) Tharparkar (Ans : A)
22. Under Bihar Panchayati Raj Act every Gram Panchayat has a life of five years. It is calculated from–
(A) the date of notification of election (B) the date of first meeting
(C) the date of result of panchayat election (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
23. In the context of Rajya ‘Sabha which one of the following statements is true?
(A) Council of Ministers is responsible to Rajya Sabha.
(B) Confidence vote can be introduced in Rajya Sabha also.
(C) Parliament can enact laws for the State List subject if Rajya Sabha with two third majority approves that a subject pertaining to State List has gained national importance.
(D) Money bill can be introduced in Rajya Sabha. (Ans : C)
24. From the following statements identify the incorrect statement pertaining to national symbols–
(A) Ratio of width of national flag of India to its length is two to three.
(B) The wheel in the national flag has 24 spokes.
(C) State emblem is an adaptation from the Lauria Nandangarh Lion Capital.
(D) Playing time of full version of national anthem is 52 seconds. (Ans : C)
25. In an election to the Lok Sabha or State Legislative Assembly a candidate will lose his deposit if he fails to secure–
(A) 1/5th of total valid votes (B) 1/7th of total valid votes
(C) 1/6th of total valid votes (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
26. First Convention of Indian National Congress was held in December 1885 at–
(A) Calcutta (B) Bombay (C) Lahore (D) Madras (Ans : B)
27. A party claims status of opposition party in Lok Sabha. It should have at least member of Parliament in Lok Sabha–
(A) 55 (B) 65 (C) 40 (D) 100 (Ans : A)
28. Under Bihar Panchayati Raj Act, a member of Gram Panchayat may resign his membership in writing under his hand addressed to Mukhiya. After submission in how many days the resignation will become effective?
(A) 7 days (B) 15 days (C) 21 days (D) 28 days excluding Sundays (Ans : A)
29. Post independence first General Elections in India was held in the year–
(A) 1947 (B) 1948 (C) 1952 (D) 1956 (Ans : C)
30. Expenses of NREGS Programme is shared by Central Government and State Government in the ratio of–
(A) 90 : 10 (B) 50 : 50 (C) 75 : 25 (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
31. Which of the five year plans mentioned below was badly hit by drought and two wars?
(A) First Five Year Plan (B) Third Five Year Plan
(C) Fifth Five Year Plan (D) Sixth Five Year Plan (Ans : B)
32. Who founded Kisan Sabha in Bihar?
(A) Dr. Rajendra Prasad (B) Sahajanand Saraswati
(C) Jay Prakash Narayan (D) Swami Agnivesh (Ans : B)
33. Nil Darpan, published in 1860 pot-rays the plight of indigo cultivators. Who wrote Nil Darpan ?
(A) Michael Madhusudan Dutt (B) James Long
(C) Dinbandhu Mitra (D) Bankim Chandra (Ans : C)
34. Among the committees mentioned below, which committee is related to Panchayati Raj ?
(A) Balwant Rai Mehta Committee (B) Shah Commission
(C) M. C. Joshi Committee (D) Justice (Retd.) Mukul Mudgal Committee (Ans : A)
35. Crux of Community Development Programme was–
(A) Construction of roads (B) Family Planning
(C) Peoples participation (D) Irrigation (Ans : C)
36. Dronacharya Award is given in–
(A) Literature (B) Peace (C) Sports Coaching (D) Bravery (Ans : C)
37. National Sports Day is celebrated on 29th August, which is related to–
(A) Dhyan Chand (B) Milkha Singh (C) Daleep Singh (D) C. K. Nayadu (Ans : A)
38. Magsaysay Award is given after Ramon Magsaysay. He was President of which nation ?
(A) Myanmar (B) Malaysia (C) Philippines (D) Sweden (Ans : C)
39. XXII Winter Olympic Games were organized in which country ?
(A) Russia (B) South Korea (C) United Kingdom (D) Switzerland (Ans : A)
40. Sahara Desert is situated in–
(A) Asia (B) Europe (C) Africa (D) Australia (Ans : C)
41. Durand Cup is associated with–
(A) Tennis (B) Soccer (C) Hockey (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
42. Who won the Nobel Prize for Peace for the year 2014 ?
(A) Barack Obama (B) Ban Ki Moon
(C) Malala Yusufzai and Kailash Satyarthi (D) European Union (Ans : C)
43. ‘Bihu’ is a folk dance of–
(A) Assam (B) Odisa (C) West Bengal (D) Tripura (Ans : A)
44. Capital of Peru is–
(A) La Paz (B) Quito (C) Lima (D) Bogota (Ans : C)
45. Chernobyl Nuclear Plant, now decommissioned is in–
(A) Russia (B) Ukraine (C) Belarus (D) Georgia (Ans : B)
46. What is the currency of Japan?
(A) Dirham (B) Kroner (C) Yuan (D) Yen (Ans : D)
47. Which of the cyclones did not touch the Eastern Coast of India?
(A) Nilofar (B) Hud Hud (C) Lehar (D) Helen (Ans : A)
48. Who wrote the book ‘Train to Pakistan’ ?
(A) Mulk Raj Anand (B) Shobha Singh
(C) Ruskin Bond (D) Khuswant Singh (Ans : D)
49. Who is the author of the book “Wings of Fire” ?
(A) Abul Kalam Azad (B) Abdul Kalam
(C) Arundhati Roy (D) Chetan Bhagat (Ans : A)
50. ‘The Discovery of India’ was written in Ahmadnagar Fort during imprisonment. Who wrote ‘The Discovery of India’ ?
(A) Swami Vivekanand (B) Mahatma Gandhi
(C) Subhash Chandra Bose (D) Jawahar Lal Nehru (Ans : D)
51. Which country is known as Sugar Bowl of the World?
(A) Cuba (B) India (C) Brazil (D) U.S.A. (Ans : A)
52. Water attains maximum density at–
(A) 0°C (B) 4°F (C) 4K (D) 4°C (Ans : D)
53. In which year United Nations Organization was formed ?
(A) 1945 (B) 1947 (C) 1954 (D) 1919 (Ans : A)
54. Who was the Viceroy of India on the eve of Indian Independence?
(A) Lord Wave II (B) Lord Curzon (C) Lord Mountbatten (D) C. Raj Gopalachari (Ans : C)
55. Which ICS Officer was associated with the formation of Indian National Congress in 1885 ?
(A) Macauley (B) Lord Simon (C) Lord Irwin (D) A. D. Hume (Ans : D)
56. New capital of Myanmar is–
(A) Yangon (B) Mandalay (C) Naypyidaw (D) Kachin (Ans : C)
57. Who wrote the novel ‘Tamas’ ?
(A) Bhisma Sahani (B) Balraj Sahani (C) Prem Chand (D) Amrita Pritam (Ans : A)
58. Which team won the Ranji Tropy for the year 2013-14 ?
(A) Maharashtra (B) Railway (C) Karnataka (D) Punjab (Ans : A)
59. Who was the Prime Minister of Britain at the time of Indian Independence?
(A) Harold Wilson (B) Winston Churchill
(C) Clement Attlee (D) Macmillan (Ans : C)
60. Who is the current Governor of Reserve Bank of India?
(A) Bimal Jalan (B) U.K. Sinha (C) Raghu Ram Rajan (D) Nandan Nilkeni (Ans : C)
61. Who is the current Chairperson of National Commission for Women of India?
(A) Mamata Sharma (B) Lalitha Kumaramangalam
(C) Girija Vyas (D) Krishna Tirath (Ans : B)
62. When was Panchsheel Treaty signed between India and China?
(A) 1949 (B) 1962 (C) 1954 (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
63. Who is the father of Green Revolution in India?
(A) Prakash Singh Kairon (B) A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
(C) M.S. Swaminathan (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
64. Aung San Suu Kyi leader of NLO belongs to which country ?
(A) South Korea (B) Sri Lanka (C) Thailand (D) Myanmar (Ans : D)
65. When was Poona Pact signed between Mahatma Gandhi and Baba Saheb Ambedkar ?
(A) 1919 (B) 1932 (C) 1937 (D) 1935 (Ans : B)
66. Gir forests are famous for lions. They are located in–
(A) Jharkhand (B) Chhattisgarh (C) Gujarat (D) Assam (Ans : C)
67. Famous painter Raja Ravi Verma belonged to the court of–
(A) Mysore (B) Travancore (C) Coorg (D) Cooch Behar (Ans : B)
68. Which river flowing in Bihar originates at Amarkantaka ?
(A) Koyal (B) Sone (C) Pun Pun (D) Karo (Ans : B)
69. Who among the following studied in the University of Nalanda ?
(A) Megasthanese (B) Hiuen Tsang (C) Ibn Batuta (D) Al-Baruni (Ans : B)
70. When was the resolution of ‘Poorna Swaraj’ passed by the Congress?
(A) 26th February, 1930 Karachi (B) 26th January, 1930 Lahore
(C) 26th November, 1931 Calcutta (D) 26th January, 1930 Bombay (Ans : B)