Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre.) EXAM., 2012 (Held on 30-11-2014)
General Studies (Paper-I) Solved Paper
(A) Prof. Keynes (B) Prof. Pigou (C) Prof. Marshall (D) Prof. Crowther (Ans : A)
2. The Committee on Financial Sector Reforms 2008, in India was headed by–
(A) Bimal Jalan (B) Raghuram Rajan (C) C. Rangarajan (D) M. Narasimham (Ans : B)
3. As per Census 2011, the sex ratio (number of females per 1000 males) in India is–
(A) 925 (B) 947 (C) 916 (D) 940 (Ans : D)
4. The Planned Development Model was adopted in India from–
(A) April 1, 1951 (B) August 15, 1947 (C) January 26, 1950 (D) May 1, 1965 (Ans : A)
5. Which one of the following is the Chairman of the National Development Council ?
(A) Prime Minister of India (B) Finance Minister of Govt. of India
(C) President of India (D) Vice-President of India (Ans : A)
6. Which of the following states in India is famous for rubber cultivation?
(A) Karnataka (B) Odisha (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) Kerala (Ans : D)
7. Which one of the following is part of fiscal policy?
(A) Production policy (B) Tax policy (C) Foreign policy (D) Interest rate policy (Ans : B)
8. NREGA was renamed ‘MNREGA’ on–
(A) October 2, 2007 (B) February 2, 2008 (C) October 2, 2009 (D) October 2, 2010 (Ans : C)
9. The Indian rupee was made convertible into which of the following accounts since March 1994 ?
(A) Capital Account (B) Current Account (C) Both (A) and (B) (D) Revenue Account (Ans : B)
10. The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority was set up in India on–
(A) April 2000 (B) April 2001 (C) April 2002 (D) Apri1 2003 (Ans : A)
11. Which of the following economists propagated the Pure Monetary Theory of Trade Cycle?
(A) Hawtrey (B) Hayek (C) Keynes (D) Hicks (Ans : A)
12. Who is the author of the book ‘The Accumulation of Capital’?
(A) Mrs. Joan Robinson (B) Adam Smith (C) Lord Maynard Keynes (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
13. Multimedia can contain–
(A) Numeric, text, and picture data (B) Graphics, animation, video, music and voice
(C) Only numeric type data (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
14. Sending an identical e-mail message repeatedly to a particular address by any abuser is called–
(A) E-mail Spoofing (B) E-mail Spamming (C) E-mail Bombing (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
15. A program that has capability to infect other programs and make copies of itself and spread into other programs is called–
(A) Worm (B) Virus (C) Trojan (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
16. The practice of using more than one type of medium in computer at the same time is called–
(A) Multimedia (B) Macromedia (C) Interactivity (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
17. One carbon credit is equivalent to–
(A) 10 kg of CO2 (B) 100 kg of CO2
(C) 1000 kg of CO2 (D) 10000 kg of CO2 (Ans : C)
18. Kedar valley disaster of June, 2013, was cause by heavy rains in the catchment area of a river, which was–
(A) Alaknanda (B) Bhagirathi (C) Yamuna (D) Mandakini (Ans : D)
19. Leakage of which of the following gases had caused the Bhopal Gas Tragedy?
(A) Methyl isocyanate (B) Carbon Mono-oxide
(C) Nitric oxide (D) Sulphur di-oxide (Ans : A)
20. Minamata disease is caused due to–
(A) Arsenic poisoning (B) Lead poisoning
(C) Mercury poisoning (D) Cadmium poisoning (Ans : C)
21. The number of organisms that can be supported by the environment in a given area is known as–
(A) Population (B) Carrying Capacity
(C) Pyramid of number or biomass (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
22. The size of the nano-particle ranges between–
(A) 100 mm to 1000 nm (B) 0.1 nm to 1 nm
(C) 1 nm to 100 nm (D) 0.01 nm to 0.1 nm (Ans : C)
23. Which of the following is not a function of the Reserve Bank of India?
(A) Regulation of currency (B) Regulation of foreign trade
(C) Regulation of credit (D) Custody and management of country’s foreign exchange reserves. (Ans : B)
24. In Cyber Law terminology ‘DOS’ means–
(A) Denial of Service (B) Disk Operating System
(C) Distant Operator Service (D) None of the above (Ans : A)
25. Which among the following gas is most responsible for global warming?
(A) Nitrogen (B) Methane (C) Carbon di-oxide (D) Carbon mono-oxide (Ans : C)
26. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(A) Ebola Virus -Small Pox (B) Biometric identification – Fingerprints and Iris scan
(C) Cloning – Genetic replica (D) DNA Fingerprinting – Paternity or criminal identification (Ans : A)
27. Which Uranium isotope is used in nuclear power plants to produce electricity ?
(A) U-233 (B) U-234 (C) U-235 (D) U-239 (Ans : C)
28. The main constituent of biogas is–
(A) Hydrogen (B) Methane (C) Butane (D) Acetylene (Ans : B)
29. Which one of the following element is used in solar cells?
(A) Silicon (B) Cerium (C) Astatine (D) Vanadium (Ans : A)
30. Which among the following is not a polymer?
(A) Nylon (B) Teflon (C) Caprolactum (D) Polystyrene (Ans : B)
31. Which Vitamin is required for in clotting of blood?
(A) Vitamin A (B) Vitamin C (C) Vitamin E (D) Vitamin K (Ans : D)
32. Filament of electric bulb is made of–
(A) Tungsten (B) Nichrome (C) Lead (D) Aluminium (Ans : A)
33. Which of the following radiations has the highest energy per quantum?
(A) 320-400 nm (B) 200-280 nm (C) 280-320 nm (D) 400-600 nm (Ans : B)
34. India’s first dedicated navigation satellite IRNSS - lA was launched from–
(A) Sriharikota (B) Ahmedabad (C) Thiruvananthpuram (D) Bengaluru (Ans : A)
35. Biodiversity changes occur–
(A) Increases towards the equator (B) Decreases towards the equator
(C) Remains unchanged throughout the Earth (D) Increase towards the poles (Ans : A)
36. Bacillus thuringiensis is used as–
(A) Biofertilizer (B) Biological insecticide (C) Chemical fertilizer (D) Chemical insecticide (Ans : B)
37. Who won the Gold Medal in the 20th (Glasgow) Commonwealth Games 2014 in Wrestling in 74 kg weight category ?
(A) Virendra Kumar (B) Sushil Kumar (C) Yogeshwar Dutt (D) Praveen Kumar (Ans : B)
38. Who among the following scientists has been conferred upon ‘Bharat Ratna’ for the year 2013 ?
(A) K. L. Mashelkar (B) G. P. Rao (C) Hariharan Parthsarthi (D) C.N.R. Rao (Ans : D)
39. Great Himalayan National Park, which has been accorded the UNESCO World Heritage Site status, is located in–
(A) Uttarakhand (B) Himachal Pradesh (C) Jammu-Kashmir (D) Nagaland (Ans : B)
40. Where is the Headquarters of North-Central Railway Zone situated?
(A) Allahabad (B) Jabalpur (C) Bhopal (D) Delhi (Ans : A)
41. In the Union Budget, 2014 the Integrated Ganga Conservation Mission has been called as–
(A) Clean Ganga (B) Sacred Ganga (C) The Great Ganga (D) Namami Gange (Ans : D)
42. According to National Youth Policy 2014, the youths of which one of the following age groups will be benefitted ?
(A) 15-29 years (B) 16-28 years (C) 15-22 years (D) 17-28 years (Ans : A)
43. International Day of Non-violence is observed on–
(A) December 10 (B) January 30 (C) October 2 (D) March 23 (Ans : C)
44. The "Rashtriya Gokul Mission" announced by the Union Government aims at-
(A) Protecting the indigenous breed of cows (B) Developing high milk yielding cow breeds
(C) Curbing slaughtering of cattles (D) Eliminating Foot and Mouth disease in cattles (Ans : A)
45. POCSO Act is related to–
(A) Oil companies (B) Children (C) Civil servants (D) Oceans (Ans : B)
46. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(A) Optic fibres - Light waves (B) Android - Voice input
(C) Large Hadron Collider - God particle (D) Red Planet - Mars (Ans : B)
47. Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) is situated at–
(A) Dehradun (B) New Delhi (C) Lucknow (D) Nagpur (Ans : A)
48. Who among the following won the Presidential election of Syria for the third time in 2014 ?
(A) Abdel Fattah el sisi (B) Bashar-Al-Asad (C) Nuri Abu Sahmein (D) Noori-AI-Maliki (Ans : B)
49. The new government at the centre has recently ratified the Marrakesh Treaty. This treaty aims at–
(A) Developing Marine Living resources (B) Regulating air transport services
(C) Promotion of access to published works by visually impaired persons and persons with print disabilities (D) Promoting studies in cell-biology (Ans : C)
50. Which one of the following films bagged the Palmed’ or award at Cannes Film Festival-2014 ?
(A) Winter Sleep (B) Grace of Monaco
(C) The Wonders (D) Goodbye to Languages (Ans : A)