1. Which of the following was not one of the taxes which the British Government imposed on India or increased from time to time in order to augment its resources?
(A) Income tax (B) Profession tax
(C) Licence tax and salt duty (D) Land and famine cess
2. In which state was the Nalanda University located in India?
(A) Paschim Banga (B) Bihar
(C) Odisha (D) Uttar Pradesh
3. 'The Dual Government' recommended by Lord Clive provided that the–
(A) criminal justice would be left to the Nawabi officials, while civil and fiscal matters would be controlled by the company
(B) company will look after fiscal matters and all the rest would be dealt by the Indian rulers
(C) Indian rulers will deal with all the matters of administration under the supervision of a company official
(D) Indian rulers will be only titular heads and all the "powers shall be directly dealt by the company
4. Who among the following was the first European to initiate the policy of taking part in the quarrels of Indian princes with a view to acquire territories?
(A) Clive (B) Dupleix
(C) Albuquerque (D) Warren Hastings
5. Which one of the following statements is incorrect?
(A) Goa attained full statehood in 1987
(B) Diu is an island in the Gulf of Khambhat
(C) Daman and Diu were separated from Goa by the 5th Amendment of the Constitution of India
(D) Dadra and Nagar Haweli were under French colonial rule, till 1954
6. The cuckoo birds never build their own nests but the female lays eggs in-the nest built by other smaller birds. The relationship is–
(A) proto-corporation (B) symbiosis
(C) social parasitism (D) parasitism
7. The richest source of vitamin A are–
(A) green peas and beans (B) pepper and potato
(C) tomato and onion (D) pumpkin and carrots
8. Which of the vitamins is essential for the red blood cell formation?
(A) Thiamine (B) Folic acid
(C) Riboflavin (D) Niacin
9. Which of these States has the maximum number of Members of Legislative Assemblies (MLAs)?
(A) Bihar (B) Pasehim Banga
(C) Uttar Pradesh (D) Andhra Pradesh
10. Which of these Articles provide for disqualification of a person from the membership of the Legislative Assembly or Legislative Council of a State?
(A) Article 190 (B) Article 191
(C) Article 192 (D) Article 193
11. Till which year, the strength of the State Legislative Assemblies has been fixed?
(A) 2015 (B) 2017
(C) 2023 (D) 2026
12. What kind of approach did the liberalization of industrial policy 1984-1985 envisage?
(A) Growth (B) Welfare
(C) Income (D) Employment
13. Which of the following includes bulk imports of the country?
(A) Petroleum (B) Electrical Goods
(C) Non-electrical Machinery (D) Precious Stones
14. Which one among the following covers the highest percentage of forest area in the world?
(A) Temperate, Coniferous forests (B) Temperate Deciduous forests
(C) Tropical Monsoon forests (D) Tropical Rain forests
15. Indonesian forest fire in 1997 Was caused by–
(A) greenhouse effect (B) depletion of ozone layer
(C) I Nino effect (D) None of these
16. In October 1920, who of the following headed a group of Indians gathered at Tashkent to set up a Communist Party of India?
(A) HK Sarkar (B) PC Joshi
(C) MC Chagla (D) MN Roy
17. Which of the following organisations "anticipated the Congress by two years and in large measure prepared the ground for the Congress"?
(A) Indian association (B) All Indian National Conference
(C) Indian National Union (D) Indian League
18. In which one of the following places is the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research located?
(A) Thiruvananthapuram (B) Sriharikota
(C) Kalpakkam (D) Trombay
19. In the context of the Indian Freedom struggle, who among the following was considered moderate?
(A) Bal Gangadhar Tilak (B) Bipin Chandra Pal
(C) Lala Lajpat Rai (D) Gopal Krishna Gokhale
20. Aurobindo Ghosh was brilliantly defended in the Alipur Conspiracy case by–
(A) Chittaranjan Das (B) WC Bannerjee
(C) Motilal Nehru (D) Tej Bahadur Sapru
21. Which one of the following statements is not correct?
(A) Rajasthan is the largest state of India in terms of area
(B) Madhya Pradesh is the second largest state of India in terms of area
(C) Maharashtra is the third largest state of India in terms of area
(D) Karnataka is the fourth largest state of India in terms of area
22. Which of the following is the X-linked genetic disease?
(A) Becker's muscular dystrophy (B) Daltonism
(C) Martin-Bell syndrome (D) All of the above
23. Which among the following is the richest source of ascorbic acid?
(A) Apple (B) Carrot
(C) Bean (D) Guava
24. What are the components of the fungicide "Bordeaux mixture"?
(A) Magnesium sulphate and sodium hydroxide (B) Copper sulphate and magnesium hydroxide
(C) Copper sulphate and calcium hydroxide (D) Copper sulphate and sodium hydroxide
25. Which one of these States has minimum numbers of members in their Legislative Assemblies?
(A) Arunachal Pradesh (B) Sikkim
(C) Goa (D) Tripura