(A) whose conductivity is intermediate between metals and insulators
(B) whose resistance falls almost to zero at very low temperatures
(C) which turn into insulators at very low temperatures
(D) which conduct electricity only at super-high temperatures
2. Find the odd one–
(A) J. R. Hicks (B) Richard Stone
(C) Friedrich August von Hayek (D) Amartya Sen
3. ISRO is the abbreviation for–
(A) Indian Scientific Research Organisation (B) International Space Research Organisation
(C) International Sales Research Organisation (D) Indian Space Research Organisation
4. Who is the author of the book ‘Apprenticeship of a Mahatma’ on which the film ‘The Making of ‘the Mahatma’ is based–
(A) Arundhati Roy (B) Shyam Benegal
(C) Shobha De (D) Fatima Meer
5. The ‘break-even point’ is where–
(A) Marginal revenue’ equals marginal cost (B) Average revenue equals average cost
(C) Total revenue equals total cost (D) None of the above
6. “Climate is extreme, rainfall is scanty, and the people used to nomadic hoarders”, For which region is this statement correct?
(A) African Savanna (B) Central Asian Steppes
(C) Siberian Tundra (D) North American Prairies
7. Reasons for the growth of Regional Political Parties in India is–
(A) lack of effective opposition (B) economic disparities among the States
(C) failure of the national parties (D) All the above
8. The first State in India to be formed on linguistic basis is–
(A) Andhra Pradesh (B) Odisha
(C) Karnataka (D) Maharashtra
9. The only Union Territory which has a High Court of its own is–
(A) Chandigarh (B) Daman and Diu
(C) Delhi (D) Lakshadweep
10. One of the following subjects is not in the State List–
(A) Market and fairs (B) Bankruptcy and insolvency
(C) Police and prisons (D) Public health and sanitation
11. Which of the following is the major component of ecosystem ?
(A) Biotic (B) Abiotic
(C) Energy (D) All of the above
12. There has been an increasing incidence of floods in Northern India in recent years because–
(A) there has been increase in deforestation in the catchment area
(B) the rate of silting of, dams has gone up
(C) there has been an increase in annual rainfall
(D) the ice has been melting faster due to slight increase in atmospheric temperature
13. Which of the following is the most dangerous pollutant ?
(A) Carbon dioxide (B) Sulphur dioxide
(C) Carbon monoxide (D) Nitrous oxide
14. Which country loses highest amount of top soil from its crop lands due to erosion ?
(A) Brazil (B) U.S.A.
(C) China (D) India
15. Ajanta-Ellora Caves are situated near–
(A) Ajmer (B) Aurangabad
(C) Patna (D) Jaipur
16. The differences in the physical properties of metals and non-metals are due
(A) Different structures of their atoms (B) Different number of their atoms
(C) The fact that metals have atoms whereas non-metals have none (D) None of these
17. In the laboratory preparation of chlorine, manganese dioxide–
(A) Functions as a catalyst (B) Gets oxidised
(C) Gets reduced (D) None of these
18. The process of bleaching by chlorine is called–
(A) Decomposition (B) Oxidation
(C) Reduction (D) Substitution
19. Which of the following non-metals is a liquid ?
(A) Bromine (B) Carbon
(C) Phosphorus (D) Sulphur
20. Which of the following statements about the physical properties of metals is not correct ?
(A) All metals are solid except mercury
(B) Most of the metals are hard except sodium and potassium
(C) They are not malleable
(D) Hydrogen and chlorine
21. Among the following Presidents of India, who was also the Secretary-General of Non-Aligned Movement for some period ?
(A) Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (B) Varahagiri Venkata Giri
(C) Giani Zail Singh (D) Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma
22. Which one of the following is not a drug/pharma company?
(A) Chevron (B) Nicholas Piramal
(C) Pfizer (D) Zydus Cadila
23. Who among the following is the author of the book “The Audacity of Hope” ?
(A) Al Gore (B) Barack Obama
(C) Bill Clinton (D) Hillary Clinton
24. Among the following, which one is not a football club?
(A) Arsenal (B) Aston Villa
(C) Chelsea (D) Monte Carlo
25. The marine animal called dugong which is vulnerable to extinction is a/ an–
(A) Amphibian (B) Bony Fish
(C) Shark (D) Mammal