Staff Selection Commission - Sub-Inspectors in DP, CAPFs & CISF
General Knowledge & General Awareness
(Held on August 2012)
( Previous Questions No 1-25 )
26. ‘Genes’ are made up of–
(A) Only RNA (B) Only DNA
(C) DNA, RNA and Protein(D) DNA and RNA
27. The Lotus plants have no root hairs because–
(A) the conducting tissue is not well developed in roots.
(B) it can store water in the stem.
(C) the roots are adventitious.
(D) it need not absorb water by roots.
28. The organism living at the bottom of water mass is called–
(A) Benthos (B) Plankton
(C) Nekton (D) Neuston
29. Light energy is converted to chemical energy during the process of–
(A) photosynthesis (B) fat metabolism
(C) transpiration (D) respiration
30. Each chromosome in the nucleus of a call consists of–
(A) two chromatids only
(B) two centromeres only
(C) two centromeres attached to a chromatid
(D) two chromatids attached to a centromere
31. White blood cells are produced in the–
(A) Tongue (B) Thyroid gland and suprarenal gland
(C) Bone marrow and lymph glands (D) Ductless glands
32. Find the odd one–
(A) Limestone (B) Slaked iron
(C) Marble (D) Chalk
33. A basic instruction that can be interpreted by computer generally has–
(A) an operation and an address (B) an instruction register and an address
(C) a decoder and an accumulator (D) None of the above
34. Software needs to be protected against–
(A) fire, flood, lightning and rock slides (B) unauthorised access
(C) worms and viruses (D) Both (B) and (C)
35. Alta Vista is a/an–
(A) browser (B) search engine
(C) application (D) software
36. Cold air blows from sea towards land during day particularly in the afternoon because of–
(A) expansion of air of land causing the air to rise up.
(B) lower specific heat and greater absorbing power causes land to be hotter then sea causing convection current in air.
(C) lower specific heat of land compared with water.
(D) greater absorbing power of land compared with water.
37. The material used for safety from nuclear radiation is–
(A) Gold (B) Lead
(C) Copper (D) Platinum
38. The filament of the electric bulb is generally made of tungsten because–
(A) its melting paint is low (B) its temperature coefficient of resistance is high.
(C) its resistivity is low (D) its melting point is high
39. The apex organisation for marketing cooperative societies at national level is–
(A) NCCF (B) NCU
(C) FCI (D) NAFED
40. ‘God helps those who help themselves’. Who said these words ?
(A) Algernon Sidney (B) Nelson Mandela
(C) Swami Vivekanand (D) Andre Maurois
41. Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in–
(A) 1976 (B) 1979
(C) 1969 (D) 1971
42. As per 2011 Census results, the density of population in India is–
(A) 362 (B) 382
(C) 325 (D) 345
43. India’s Space Rocket Launching Centre is in–
(A) Sriharikota (B) Port Blair
(C) Wheeler Island (D) Hassan
44. Who has been sworn in as the Union Railway Minister after the resignation of Dinesh Trivedi ?
(A) Muket Rai (B) Prasano Dev Barua
(C) Mukul Roy (D) Harihar Banerji
45. The natural gas is–
(A) Hydrogen sulphide (B) Methane
(C) Nitrogen dioxide (D) Sulphur trioxide
46. Desalination of sea water is done by–
(A) reverse osmosis (B) fractional distillation
(C) diffusion (D) osmosis
47. The man-made structure on Earth visible from space is–
(A) Great Wall of China (B) Giza’s Pyramid
(C) Golden Gate Bridge (D) Eiffel Tower
48. Which one of the following actors was awarded the Dada Saheb Phalke Award at the 59th National Film Festival ?
(A) Soumitra Chatterjee (B) Ketan Mehta
(C) Shekhar Kapoor (D) Mahesh Bhatt
49. Which is the only host team to win the ICC (50 over) Cricket World Cup ?
(A) South Africa (B) India
(C) Australia (D) West Indies
50. The objective of Sangam Yojna is–
(A) to make Ganga water pollution free.
(B) to make Sangam region of Allahabad more attractive for tourists.
(C) to unite various group of Hindus.
(D) to ensure welfare of handi-capped.