Staff Selection Commission - Sub-Inspectors in DP, CAPFs & CISF
General Knowledge & General Awareness
(Held on August 2012)
1. Demand for labour is–
(A) Composite demand (B) Competitive demand
(C) Derived demand (D) Joint demand
2. In India, National Income estimates are prepared by–
(A) National Development Council (B) Central Statistical Organisation
(C) National Sample Survey Oraganisation (D) Planning Commission
3. Who among the following were members of the Swaraj Party ?
1. Motilal Nehru 2. Sardar Patel
3. Gopal Krishna Gokhale
(A) 2 and 3 (B) 1, 2 and 3
(C) 1 and 2 (D) 1 only
4. Employment in Agriculture comes under–
(A) Services Sector (B) Semi-organised Sector
(C) Organised Sector (D) Unorganised Sector
5. Which of the following methods is effective in controlling Balance of Payments (BoP)?
(A) Abolition of Export Duties (B) Tourism Development
(C) Devaluation (D) Foreign Direct Investment
6. Provisions relating to Panchayati Raj can be found in which Schedule of the Indian Constitution ?
(A) 10 (B) 11
(C) 7 (D) 9
7. The first battle of Panipat took place in the year–
(A) 1527 A.D. (B) 1528 A.D.
(C) 1525 A.D. (D) 1526 A.D.
8. Who is the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha ?
(A) Leader of Opposition (B) Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
(C) President (D) Vice-President
9. According to the Constitution, which Fund will be under the control of the President of India ?
(A) Contingency Fund of India (B) Public Provident Fund
(C) Consolidated Fund of India (D) State’s Consolidated Fund of India
10. Who is chosen by the members of Rajya Sabha ?
(A) President (B) Vice-President
(C) Chairperson (D) Deputy Chairman
11. Arrange the following in order, starting from the earliest–
1. Rowlatt Act 2. Regulating Act
3. Wood’s Despatch 4. Simon Commission
(A) 4, 3, 2, 1 (B) 2, 3, 1, 4
(C) 1, 3, 4, 2 (D) 2, 1, 3, 4
12. The boundary line between India and China is called–
(A) McMahon Line (B) Red Line
(C) Radcliffe Line (D) Durand Line
13. 95% of world’s diamond reserves are found in–
(A) Ghana (B) Kimberley
(C) Johannesburg (D) Zambia
14. The most dangerous consequence of excessive deforestation is–
(A) destruction of wild animal habitats (B) soil erosion
(C) loss of forest wealth (D) loss of many valuable plants
15. “Green house effect” means–
(A) Trapping of solar energy due to atmospheric carbon dioxide
(B) Prevention of ultra-violet radiation of ozone layer
(C) Pollution in houses in tropical region
(D) None of these
16. The most stable eco-system is–
(A) Desert (B) Ocean
(C) Forest (D) Mountain
17. An ideal example of sustainable resource is–
(A) Afforestation (B) Farming
(C) Reforestation (D) Agroforestation
18. What is the recent source of pollution of underground water ?
(A) Thermal Power Stations (B) Biogas Plants
(C) Sewage (D) Landfills
19. The Indian Prime Minister who dies in Tashkent was–
(A) Lal Bahadur Shastri (B) P. V. Narasimha Rao
(C) Jawaharlal Nehru (D) Indira Gandhi
20. What was the name of the Samaj founded by Raja Rammohan Roy ?
(A) Brahmo Samaj (B) Satya Samaj
(C) Prarthana Samaj (D) Arya Samaj
21. The man who led the Mutiny in Bihar was–
(A) Ranjit Singh (B) Pratap Singh
(C) Amar Singh (D) Kunwar Singh
22. During whose reign did Hiuen Tsang visit Kanchipuram (the capital of Pallavas) ?
(A) Mahendra Varma II (B) Narasimha Varman I
(C) Mahendra Varma (D) Rajasimha
23. The Suez Canal connects the Mediterranean Sea with the–
(A) Caspian Sea (B) Persian Gulf
(C) Red Sea (D) Black Sea
24. Which one of the following is not a correct match ?
(A) Haldia –West Bengal (B) Kandla –Gujarat
(C) Marmagao –Goa (D) Paradeep –Assam
25. Doddabetta Peak is located in the–
(A) Anaimalai (B) Mahendragiri
(C) Nilgiris (D) Shevaroys