1. The Secretary–General of NATO is –
(A) Hans Blix (B) Willy Claes
(C) Ajit Singh (D) Anders Fogh Rasmussen
2. In which year a resolution ‘Uniting for Peace, was adopted by UN General Assembly?
(A) 1950 (B) 1960
(C) 1965 (D) 1980
3. UN General Assembly elects a President and how many Vice Presidents at the start of its each regular session ?
(A) 7 (B) 15
(C) 21 (D) 2
4. To consider the large number of agenda items, General Assembly has how many main committees?
(A) 5 (B) 6
(C) 9 (D) 15
5. The first meeting of the UN General Assembly was held in which of the following cities ?
(A) London (B) New York
(C) San Francisco (D) Teheran
6. The headquarters of a few agencies related to the UN are located in
Vienna, which is in –
(A) Austria (B) Belgium
(C) Denmark (D) Sweden
7. Who among the following is the President of International Court of Justice ?
(A) Jose Maria Ruda (B) Michel Hansenne
(C) Jobril Aminu (D) Peter Tomka
8. The Director General of UNESCO is –
(A) Amadau Mahtar M’Bow (B) Michel Hansenne
(C) Dr. H.T. Mahler (D) Ms. Irina Bokova
9. Who is the President of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (World Bank)?
(A) Michel Camdessus (B) Gaston Thorn
(C) Barber Conable (D) Jim Yong Kim
10. The Director–General of the World Health Organisation is –
(A) Ms. Gro Harlem Brundtland (B) Dr. Francis Blanchard
(C) Dr. Hans Blix (D) Dr. Margaret Chan
11. The normal term of office of the UN Secretary–General is –
(A) 3 years (B) 4 years
(C) 5 years (D) 6 years
12. Admission of States to the membership of the UN is made by –
(A) Simple majority of the General Assembly
(B) Unanimous vote of the General Assembly
(C) The Security Council
(D) Two–thirds majority of the General Assembly members present and voting, on the recommendation of the Security Council
13. Which one of the following international organisations does India disapprove of ?
(A) ASEAN (B) NATO
(C) FAO (D) OPEC
14. The headquarters of all the following international organisations are based at Vienna, except –
(A) United Nations Industrial Development Organisation
(B) Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries
(C) United Nations, Development Programme
(D) International Atomic Energy Agency
15. Which of the following international agencies of the UN is the only distinctive inter–governmental organisation concerned with children’s welfare ?
(A) UNESCO (B) UNICEF
(C) WHO (D) UNHCR
16. The official languages of the United Nations are –
(A) African, Chinese, English, French, German and Spanish
(B) Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish
(C) Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, English, French and German
(D) Chinese, English, French, Hindi, Japanese and Spanish
17. Which of the following organisations is, among other things, concerned with human rights and freedoms without distinction of race, sex, language, or religion ?
(A) UNICEF (B) UNFPA
(C) UNESCO (D) None of these
18. The UN charter was ratified in 1945 by –
(A) 25 nations (B) 29 nations
(C) 33 nations (D) 37 nations
19. The UN Charter was finalised at .........and became effective on............
(A) San Francisco; 24th October, 1945
(B) Dumbarton Oaks, 5th March, 1944
(C) Yalta, 2nd February, 1945
(D) Teheran, 24th October, 1943
20. Which of the following counties is not a member of the United Nations ?
(A) Cuba (B) Israel
(C) South Africa (D) Taiwan