1. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was born on—
(A) October 5, 1896 (B) October 3, 1840
(C) October 2, 1869 (D) October 10, 1880 (Ans : C)
Also See : Mahatma Gandhi Short Biography (460 Words)
2. At which place was Gandhiji born?
(A) Porbandar (B) Rajkot
(C) Wardha (D) Junagadh (Ans : A)
3. Which of the following plays left a deep impression on Gandhiji?
(A) Harishchandra (B) Shravana Kumar
(C) Both (a) and (b) (D) Shakuntala (Ans : C)
4. Who of the following desired to convert Gandhiji to Christianity in South Africa?
(A) A. W. Baker (B) Mrs. MacDonald
(C) William Godfrey (D) Spencer Walton (Ans :A)
5. Who of the following satyagrahis succumbed to jail hardships during the satyagraha movement launched by Gandhiji in South Africa?
(A) Harbat Singh (B) Villiamma
(C) Nagappan (D) All of them (Ans :D)
6. What was Gandhiji's age when he got married to Kasturbai?
(A) 19 years (B) 15 years
(c)12 years (D) 13 years (Ans :D)
7. About how old was Gandhiji when he reached London to become a barrister?
(A) 20 years (B) 19 years
(C) 21 years (D) 18 years (Ans :B)
8. Devdas was Gandhiji's
(A) Only child (B) Second child
(C) Eldest child (D) Youngest child (Ans :D)
9. At which place was the first permit office opened on July 1, 1907 for the registration of Indians
under the Registration Act?
(A) Pretoria (B) Johhanesburg
(C) Petersburg (D) Volksrust (Ans :A)
10. Searle's Supreme Court judgement which caused great resentment among Indians, leading to mass
protests, related to—
(A) Registration of Indians (B) Strike by Indian coal miners
(C) Invalidation of Indian marriages (D) None of the above (Ans :C)
11. Gandhiji, the hero of the satyagraha struggle of the Indians in South Africa, landed in Bombay on—
(A) January 9, 1915 (B) January 26, 1915
(C) February 10, 1915 (D) February 20, 1915 (Ans :A)
12. Who advised Gandhiji to remain as an observer and student in the country for a year before taking part in Indian Politics?
(A) B. G. Tilak (B) G. K. Gokhale
(C) Anne Besant (D) Rabindranath Tagore (Ans :C)
13. Identify the place from where Gandhiji started his recruiting campaign for the War on behalf of the British Government.
(A) Surat (B) Ahmedabad
(C) Kheda (D) Rajkot (Ans :C)
14. In which South African unit had most of the India emigrants taken up abode?
(A) Johannesburg (B) Natal
(C) Maritzberg (D) Durban (Ans :B)
15. At which place was Gandhiji arrested for the first time by the British Government for sedition?
(A) Bombay (B) Pune
(C) Calcutta (D) Ahmedabad (Ans :D)
16. When was the Gandhi - Irwin Pact signed?
(A) March 1, 1932 (B) March 5, 1931
(C) March 10, 1935 (D) March 7, 1937 (Ans :B)
17. On being arrested for his "Quit India" programme, where was Gandhiji detained?
(A) Yeravda Jail (B) Byculla Prison
(C) Agakhan Palace Jail (D) Ahmedabad Prison (Ans :D)
18. In connection with the inauguration of the so-called Rowlatt satyagraha, Gandhiji started a Satyagraha Sabha in—
(A) Ahmedabad (B) Bombay
(C) Wardha (D) Rajkot (Ans : B)
19. What is the name of the building which served as Gandhi's residence in Mumbai from 1917-1934?
(A) Birla House (B) Bajaj House
(C) Mani Bhavan (D) Congress House (Ans : C)
20. The book "Unto This Last" greatly captivated and transformed Gandhiji. So much so that he translated it into Gujarati. Who was its author?
(A) Ruskin Bond (B) John Ruskin
(C) Leo Tolstoy (D) Louis Fisher (Ans : B)